22 June, 2021

Pandemic Fathers Day

22 June 2021

1028

R. Linda;

What should have been a simply lovely breakfast out turned into breakfast in the Devil's den, it did. Me Mam decided it would be nice since things be opening back up, that she take the family out to a "real eatery" where we could mingle with the masses, maskless and otherwise (otherwise being vaccinated), and enjoy a semblance of life returning to normal. Well, it all sounded good, but that's not exactly what happened.

The British Place we used to frequent for special breakfasts, is no longer the British Place but the American Place. Trump successfully made it impossible for the former Brit owners to stay here and so they sold the place and are currently residing across the pond. The new American owners promised to keep the Brit menu along with their own. At first, this worked, but after a year of take-out, the new owners have blasted the Brit menu across the pond as well, and now it be all American fare. 

This did not sit well with me grey-haired, apple-cheeked little Mam. So she picked another bistro which we have been supporting with occasional take-out during this last year of lockdown. Mostly we ordered dinners never a breakfast, so we were under the impression that breakfast was probably as good as dinner. Wrong, oh my were we WRONG!

Father's Day dawned hot. I know you know the meaning of that word living in Denver where you are one step from hell as far as heat goes. When I drove us up to the bistro, there was a line of cars which right away made us all fret that the wait would be an hour. Optimistic as me wife always is, she jumped out of the car and asked the first wait staff she saw how long the wait was. Meanwhile, me Mam is mumbling we could just go to Dunks and get breakfast sanny's. Tonya came back with a big smile, "15 minutes!" OK then. We piled out of the car and were directed to an outdoor table. I put the awning up to shade us and we all sat down, only for meself to find I was the only one sitting in the sun and there was no room to find shade. 

We were given drinks and menus right off, a very good sign wouldn't you say? And then we drank our drinks over a period of 30 minutes and it was sweltering outside. We ordered another round and drank those after a period of 10 more minutes. I was getting quite the suntan by the by, let's face it, I was sitting in the suntan section after all. I noticed there were tables inside, so I got up and asked if we could move inside, you know, out of sight out of mind. I was told yes! We did and there we sat in full view of wait staff and the one cook. ONE R. Linda! One person was cooking and he looked like he had just finished working on his motorcycle and decided to slam a few eggs on the grill and munch bacon while he did that. 

People who came in after us were being served and the take-out customers were being served before those.  I was gobsmacked and sweat-soaked. Because we were a large party of people and not two or three or a take-out customer, we had to wait. Well, it had been an hour and 20 and I got up and went over to the cashier and complained. Oh yes, they were coming, they were short-staffed, and blah, blah, blah!

Our order was taken shortly after. The waitress told us the Father's Day part of the menu was decided on the night before and she wasn't there for that, so she wasn't familiar with what sides went with any of the items ordered. So we took it sides were extra. We didn't care we were hungry, so we ordered. She took Tonya's order twice when Tonya told her she didn't order two of the French Toast with strawberries and strawberry cream cheese filling. But I had ordered two of the eggs Benedict because by this time I was famished. The waitress was drippy hot and confused. So were we!

So we sat and sat and it was 25 minutes of watching take-out orders go out and no one being served inside or outside for that matter. This time the wife got up and complained and we were given two small platters of French fries on the house with one small platter of over-seasoned hash browns. On the house, it was said because they were sorry for the wait. 

By this time the kiddos were antsy and being pratts. Mam was disappointed and Ton and I just plain starved. The kiddos cleaned up on all the potato dishes and we let them hoping it would appease their appetites as well as attitudes a wee bit. Only made it worse it did. I tell ya hungry kiddos can be as wired on potatoes as candy. I've seen it!

Finally, the three French Toast orders the kiddos asked for came out. They were served and we sat there repulsed. The toast was floating in syrup enough to float a small boat and unappetising congealed icing sugar or as Americans call it, powdered sugar that was clumped over the top. Tonya told them to start or breakfast would go cold. Good thing she told them that because it was ten minutes later Mam gets her western omelette which wasn't an omelette but something that looked like it came out of the bin and was tossed on a plate. Tonya and I told her to start, we were sure ours would be coming soon. Stupid thing to say because by the time me Mam sort of finished (she couldn't really eat her meal it was so dry and awful), it was 15 minutes later when one serving of Eggs Benedict arrived. I sat looking at it wondering what the hell? It was two eggs over sandwich ham (not a Canadian bacon slice), no that would have been too near the real thing. This was smothered in what looked more like egg yolk than sauce. The second eggs Bene arrived and this was foisted on Tonya who told them she ordered the French Toast with strawberries. Well, THAT was taking a while so they brought her a plate of scrambled eggs with two slices of salty bacon and two tasteless sausages that went with the missing French toast. 

I forced the eggs bene down and let me tell you that sandwich ham was like pure salt! I would have ordered a bottle of Pepsi had I thought I'd really get it. As I was just about done, Tonya's French Toast shows up. I wish I had brought me phone for this because it was the most unappetising breakfast EVER!

She's ordered this very same concoction at another place and it comes with three slices of French toast, a fluffy filling of strawberry cream cheese with bits of strawberry and on the top is a dollop of whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Not this thing they served her. It was two pieces of French Toast slathered over both slices, thick, cold cream cheese slab that someone had put some strawberry juice in and mixed up with tart slices of strawberries. Just the look on Ton's face as THAT was placed in front of her was priceless. 

"Wot be dat?" Mam whispered to me, as Tonya's face turned a lovely shade of green.

"Breakfast as good as mine, without the salt." I quipped.

The waitress came over and told us all the sides and Tonya's meal were on the house for making us wait. She did inform us that the cook never made Tonya's order before so if it came up short that was why.

Well, the bill came, not only did they charge us for the crap they served, they charged us for EVERYTHING they had said they comped. Tonya told Mam not to tip them, but I did and I knew I shouldn't have because the waitress was hardly talking to us, she threw plates down and was downright surly. I only tipped 10% though. I was about to take the bill up with the cashier but Mam just wanted to leave, and the kiddos were acting up more than usual on a sugar high from all that syrup that was drenched over their meals. 

Never again. No more take-out either. Done, done, done. We took our sweaty, grossed-out selves home. I was going to cook up a feast if they wanted but after that outing, no one wanted to look at food. I will have to say there were at least 25 tables inside and out. There were two waitresses, one cashier and the cook (if you can call him that). One waitress was helping the cook in a limited capacity. She was too busy wiping sweat off her forehead with her forearm and chatting to think of customer's needs. I fully understand they were understaffed for Father's Day which makes me believe that they should not have been opened, because they made Father's Day hell for their customers. It was a holiday of sorts and the weather was nice, so one would think they'd know the clientele volume would be bigger than usual. Honesty would have been better to tell us it would be a 2 and half hour wait not 15 minutes! They lost customers over that. So again while I sympathise it be hard to get help, don't lie to keep people there because they won't come back. 

Gabe

Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved

2 comments:

Fionnula said...

poor you! that sucks but I'm thinking things will improve as this pandemic winds down. at least I hope so. happy fathers day and I'm not being sarcastic I hope the rest of the day improved :)

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

It did suck. Thanks for the well wishes.