16 October, 2020

The Road To Nowhere

16 October 2020

1003

R. Linda:

“Stones have ears. Trees have eyes. Leaves have voices. Beasts tell lies. Beware the rain. Beware the snow. Beware the road you think you know."

About three years ago, quite by accident, I discovered a road behind me new home. The setter had got away from me and I followed her into the wood at the end of the back field behind the house. I could see flashes of her red and white self as she hunted, nose to the ground picking up a scent. I called but when she was in hunting mode (after all she was a bird dog), there was no stopping her. She'd follow the scent until she found and flushed out the bird or it simply disappeared. 

That morning she led me to a road I'd never seen or knew existed just beyond the woods that bordered my property. It was small, fit for three people to walk abreast, sandy grey with no weeds upon it and pristine. Deep woods abutted it on both sides, and looking ahead I could see the flash of my dog's tail as she followed the scent. I ran after her still calling and as I went quite a ways, I lost sight of her and saw before me a small and rickety covered bridge. Well, this was something. I went up to it and it was still sturdy but full of holes where the years of weather had damaged it. I went through it minding any holes in the flooring to the other side. I stood looking back at it wondering about it and the road that came out of nowhere and seemed to go nowhere.

I turned in time to see the flash of white ahead and took off after the still-hunting setter. I came up to a very old cemetery. I stopped thinking it odd that a cemetery this remote was even there, but this be New Hampshire, there are lots of these forgotten cemeteries. The pointy wrought iron gate was loose on its hinges but still latched. I opened the creaky thing and stepped inside. The markers were old and faded from the late 1700s. Names like Ezra, Josiah, Eli, and Ebenezer, I could read, the rest I could not. All the stones had sunk at angles into the ground over the years. All were overgrown with long brown grasses. It was unnerving to stand there in the quiet, only the wind whispering through the fading leaves making odd sounds. 

As I turned to leave, me dog came bounding up and I caught hold of her. I closed the old gate behind me as I left and looked down the road but it ended just beyond the graves. When I got back to the starting point I followed the road but it didn't go but 20 feet more. Hum, a road that went nowhere really and somehow was either maintained by someone or nature tended it on her own. 

I looked at the plot plan, I looked at maps of the town and nothing could I find. There for all intents and purposes, a road should not exist. The graveyard I did find and the family had all died out, so it was never tended to. The bridge was not on the map at all. I mentioned this but no one, even native Ben knew anything about the road. Last year when me middle kiddo had a school assignment to hike a mile I thought of the road. The road was about a mile long or so. I suggested we take the walk there and my boy was all about it, but he decided instead, to hike on the old railroad bed with his friends. Now before this, that winter I had taken the other hound for a walk and knowing there was a strip of road in the woods, I took him there. It had snowed and we walked the road following the white path. I noticed the silence that surrounded me. It was eerie, R. Linda, it rather made me nervous, it felt like we were being watched but in the whiteness, I could see no one. 

Occasionally a gust of cold wind would blow up and snowflakes would scurry in our path. It felt bone-chilling and to be honest I turned around sooner than I was going to and headed home. The silence was all-encompassing, no birds, no sounds of anything, just that overwhelming silence.

The next time I attempted it was early spring when the green shoots were ready to burst forth on the trees. The sound of tree frogs seemed to get louder the closer to the old covered bridge I got. The cacophony was overpowering and I felt as though the frogs were going to jump out of the trees and .  . . well you get the creepy idea. A cold rain beat down on me, soaking me to the skin by the time I got home. The smooth surface of some of the large rocks tumbled before me as if they heard me coming as I skirted them home. Those rocks were weird, all smooth like river stone but they were not that. They were slippery and a few times I almost tripped. Again, I felt like the stones could feel me coming and were out to get me. Stupid thought I know, but I can't explain any other feeling but that one.

The last time I was on the road, was in the summer (me and the hound again, I didn't trust the setter to run off on me), and this time at sunset. The crickets chirped at first, but as soon as I got to that bridge the sound was deafening. We turned around, even the dog didn't want to go any further. On the walk back the atmosphere was spooky with the waning light. The trees seemed to be watching, or at least it felt like that, measuring each step I took back with some chant from the leaves I could not catch. The hooting of an owl caused me to almost jump out of me skin. I hustled back home as quick as I could. There was something about that road.

O'Hare, on hearing about this, was all about us hiking the road together. We decided to hike at night. The day had been caught up in Halloween (which is a big occasion at my house, I know any excuse for a celebration), and so it was late and I was going to call the hike off but O'Hare was wired on candy and ready to go. 

He knew of the road but had never seen it, because I did tell him of its existence, but never my experiences on it.

"Where did this come from?" He looked around himself in amazement. "It is all forest and here is this strip of path?"

Yes, indeed I agreed and we set off torches (flashlights to Americans) in hand. The night had a chill to it, perfect for Hallowmas, we walked at a good pace, O'Hare chatting about trick or treating and then suddenly he went quiet.

"Da, do you see a light up ahead?" 

Yes, I did, it had an orange glow to it and as we walked towards it we squinted our eyes trying to make out if someone was ahead of us. As we approached the bridge, we could see a Jack o'lantern wedged in one of the bridge posts. 

"No one here," O'Hare said, and then he shouted, "Hello?"

No answer. We listened, O'Hare's shout vibrating in the still air. The air was chilled around our heads, the silence deafening. I urged him to start ahead and leave the lit pumpkin alone. As we rounded the curve in the road we both saw at the same time, lights up ahead. 

"More pumpkins, I think," I said.

And, I was correct as we got to the cemetery each slanted headstone had a Jack o'lantern resting on it.

"Wow! What is this?" O'Hare said looking spooked. "A cemetery? Is it real?" He asked me.

"Yes, and I don't know who would do this," I said.

"Did you?" He looked at me slyly.

"No, I swear," I said raising me right hand.

"Then?"

"I don't know," I said. 

"Can we go home? I don't like this, I don't like it here."

"Yes, let's go," I said and we turned back looking at the fading lights over our shoulders. We were silent for the most part, the wind had picked up along with our pace, and the darkness seemed darker if possible. The forest on both sides of the road was black. Occasionally we'd hear a sound in the woods, but what it was, we did not know nor did we mince steps. It seemed to take a long time to come to the covered bridge. I could see the candle flame reflected in the brackish water as we approached. The Jack o'lantern was still alight and the flame flickering wildly in the wind.

"Headless horseman," O'Hare said making me stop in my tracks. I looked at him in wonder. Had he heard something? He saw me look and pointed into the woods. There, not more than thirty feet, in the dark was something aglow, it was big and I could hear the hooves crunching the pinecone needles on the forest floor. A horse, a white horse I could just make it out. There was no moonlight, so it was hard to see at first but once my eyes adjusted to the darkness inside the forest I could just make it out.


"I think we should . . . we should . . . RUN!" O'Hare said taking off but I caught his arm and held him back. "Are you crazy? We need to get out of here ASAP but not call attention to ourselves!" He said pulling to get out of me grasp.

"No, wait, watch I saw a light," I said, me eyes focused on the moving animal. I had seen a light and then as I turned O'Hare towards the horse another pumpkin lit up high like someone holding it aloft. "OK, now we run," I said and we took off to the sound of hooves reaching the road. We both looked back but the horseman didn't come any further than the apron of the bridge. We heard a deep-throated laugh and then it was gone, but the pumpkin had been hurtled our way. It missed us of course as we had distanced ourselves fitfully. It smashed, the light went out and that was it. Quiet reigned.

We had stopped running and were panting for breath. 

"What was that?" O'Hare managed to ask.

"If it's the headless horseman, he's way away from Tarrytown."

In our nervousness, we made jokes about that until it all settled in our brain what had occurred. We walked in silence, and when in a state of fear and relief all at once one's senses take note of one's surroundings. It was dark, very dark, a coyote howled. Chills ran up our spines at the sound and our pace quickened more. 

By the time we came to the place in the woods that led to our house, the trees seemed to watch us and the leaves voiced whispers in the chill breeze. Both of us gave a shiver to shake off the feeling but it stayed with us until we got inside. 

No one was awake to hear of our adventure, and by the morning's light it seemed silly to tell the tale, but we did and got excited and enthused. 

"I wanna see this." Guido voiced and so we decided to take anyone who was interested in a hike to the cemetery to see the pumpkins and the smashed pumpkin by the bridge. 

We all chattered like magpies up the road which stunned the ladies of the house that it existed so close to the house and no one knew of it. The leaves danced in the wind as we walked, the trees swayed at their tops, and the sun made the fallen leaves a palette of colour at our feet. It was a beautiful November 1! As we neared the bridge, O'Hare and I could see the pumpkin on the bridge was gone and so was the smashed pumpkin. 

"Oh, you Halloween dreamers," Tonya said smiling at us.

"No, wait Mom. Come see the cemetery." O'Hare said jogging down the road.

We got there to find him standing in the middle of it looking confused. Not one Jack o'lantern to be seen. What had happened? We felt like fools we did. We scoured the cemetery and even Tonya remarked there was no disturbance of the long grass to indicate a person had walked through there. She was right, so how?

It was a few days later I took the setter for a short walk on THE road and as I got to the bridge I kicked some of the stones around and after about fifteen minutes was rewarded with two pumpkin seeds! Aha! So it wasn't our "vivid imaginations." 

I put the seeds in me pocket and took them back to the abode as proof, but no one (even O'Hare) believed I had found them by the bridge. 

"I bet if the ground hadn't been so hard we'd have found horse tracks," I said with some confidence.

That was me last effort. They all shook their heads and left me with seeds in hand. Well, I planted those seeds I'll have you know, and five pumpkins are growing from the two stems. So there! 

I have not been back there since. Though I am tempted this Halloween to take THE WALK. I have no clue who played a jape on us or what did, do you?

                                                                     TRICK OR TREAT!

Gabe

Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved


11 comments:

Dew said...

Wow that is a great story I love it Those pumpkins didn’t light themselves so? Hmmmmm it’s very spooky! You have to go back on the 31st!!!!!’

Fionnula said...

did you tell weasil about that road because there might be your culprit. only does he know how to ride a horse? I can't seem him on one but maybe?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Uhhh Dew . . . maybe I'll walk it again . . . not sure I want to.

And Fifi, Weasil has been stuck in Scotland so he wasn't about the place so that does that. Can he ride a horse? No idea but he's a toffy so I suspect he can.

Dew said...

Oh go on with you lol I would go with you I would be scared to death thought but that kind of thing intrigues me!

Gabe said...

Then YOU go I will guve you a map and IF you make it back you can tell me all about it LOL

Tomas said...

LOL The skeleton photo with the I Want Candy bag, is that yours? Fun idea. As to the story, I would take another trip down memory lane or cemetery lane to see what's what.

Dew said...

LOL I’m not THAT brave

Gabe said...

YOU would— doesn’t mean I would LOL

Dew said...

This kind of reminds me of outlander which Im obsessed with!

mobit22 said...

LMAO sorry bud. it's scary but not scary enough. my son got a 7 foot tall pennywise with a red balloon that would be perfect for that road. go down the road again but do it in the dark. I really need the scare. LOL and take a follower with you!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Well, Muse I can't please everyone but the majority liked the story. Sorry you did not find it up to me usual par. You know what's scary COVID 19.