05 August, 2021

Toie de vivre or if you aren't French -- the joy of living

05 August 2021

1030

R. Linda:

Bonjour Lenda! (Hello Linda!)

The nose and face are healed from the spectacular tumble I took. Though there are faint lines where the breaks in the nose are. But for all intents and purposes, me nose be no worse nor crooked. 

Eye healed, nose coming along

In me spare time I have been studying French. Me French was passable, but never great, so that's what I have been doing. Or, more accurately, driving everyone in me house nutters by speaking French instead of English. I know what they are saying and they have no clue what I am saying. 

Upper-class Brits speak French like it was their second language and it probably was, considering the English occupied Calais for a very long time. Not only that, many Brits have removed themselves to the French countryside and taken up residence to get away from London. Or, so they will tell you. They find things a wee bit more expensive, but they are willing to pay extra to embrace the French culture. Me friend told me once that one can spot an Englishman by how polite he is and a Frenchman by how rude he is. I have no idea, I have not put that to the test. Well, perhaps I have, one-word MONTREAL.

In me ancestry I found out to your chagrin, I have no Mexican in me. But I do have French bloodlines! I know who would have guessed that? Not me, not by a long chalk. I found French ancestors who lived in Calais. They migrated to Ireland for what reason I have none. I even have a small percentage of Portuguese in the bloodline and that has me really baffled. Was one of me ancestors a Knight Templar? Wouldn't that be something! Or, was it someone who was on one of the Spanish Armada ships that sunk off Ireland and found himself an Irish lass? I'll take the former, more romantic to think Templar! And, THAT might make sense of me French ancestors because then they might be Templars too! 

All this, as you can well imagine has driven the Weasil more nutters than he already is. He, being a Scotsman prides himself on all things Scottish and will swear up and down the Scots are ALL of Templar origins, including himself. I even asked his father about that and he shook his head no, and looked very much like there was no way. However, I let the Weasil lord it over me just to keep peace and peace of mind for meself. Though, in me daydreams I see Weasil dressed up in a white sheet with a big red target on it and oh the fun me imagination takes. 

Anyway, I went into Beantown to put me day's work in, and on the way back, Ben had asked me if I would mind picking up cupcakes for a town meeting he was part of. I do remember me Mam and Tonya exchanging looks but neither said a word. I knew what they were remembering, me and O'Hare's birthday cake a few years back. Well, I swore to meself I'd be careful this time.

So I picked up the cupcakes (there be no bakery near us), and Ben had ordered from a place on the state line. I was doing great until I got off the highway and onto the country roads. Just as I was about to turn onto me town road a deer jumped out and I swerved not to hit it. You can guess what happened to the cupcakes. Yup, they skedaddled across the seat to the area between the seat and the door. So yes, I did it again as Britney Spears would say, only this time it was more of a disaster than the cake.


The result was they were smooshed and a few fell out of their wrappers and onto the floor.

Lucky for Ben and ME, there were still two hours before his meeting. Mam put to work instantly chiding me the entire time and I didn't get off easy I had to help ice the freshly baked cupcakes without getting one for myself.

Broken (if you can call cupcakes broken) wasn't the only thing I broke. I picked you up the annual Halloween birthday present and broke it upon showing me Mam what I got this year to grace your abode. In a sheer panic, I had to order another, wrap the one I broke up and send that back, and found out the replacement be on backorder! Not only that, me little, grey-haired, apple-cheeked Mam had to have one too! So you both be on backorder! In hindsight, I should have had yours sent to you directly but in me scrambled brain to get things done quickly had both Halloween thingees sent here. WHICH means it will be that much longer before you get yours. I be sorry I be a klutz and become mindless when in a panic.

Other than those few things nothing be new in me life since we seem to be going into Covid Part Deux. Yes, another winter of being cooped up like chickens with the fox outside the door. And the Weasil too! That's the only good thing about Covid, I be not visited by that rascal. 

Hope all be well in that oven you call Denver. 

Gabe

Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved





1 comment:

Fionnula said...

bonjour gebrial! lol long time no see excuse the pun. your eye looks better but those cupcakes!