21 April, 2011

Short blurb of a story - Making hot water for tea

21 April 2011
391

R. Linda:

So let me tell you this wee tale that happened about an hour ago. Today is my day off (worked Sunday, and got Thursday off, don't ask) and I went to the tiny town of Milford to a children's store looking for a tie for O'Hare. He insists (snappy dresser that he be), that he must have a tie for Easter. So the one store that used to have them didn't, and Milford was the next town over, and since I was all the way over there, I decided to drop into this other children's store Tonya likes. Well, R. Linda, they had no ties but one that would have fit Guido and well, Guido don't wear no stinkin' ties and could care less if he was covered in chocolate Easter bunny or not. But brother, well stylin' fashion plate that he is, demands the tie and I was disappointed to find notta thing.

As I was leaving, I noticed an antique store that was going out of business. So I thought, I have some time I'll go see what they have, maybe pick up some primitive art for Tonya. May I say something about me wife's taste? Well, I am anyway, she likes shabby chic, you know the stuff that looks like the paint cracked and needs some fixing up, the scary stuffed dolls that look like they've been dragged through the dirt, the yards and yards of berry garland with the tin stars and twinkle lights, you get the idea. So I went in, and the shop owner, a very pleasant sort, was talking to me as I roamed around being the only customer. And I was enjoying our chat and there I found hand-painted Easter eggs that have that shabby chic look like they have been around since my great-grandmother was a baby. All yellowed and decoupaged with old-fashioned pictures and such, and I know from experience me wife loves that stuff. So I brought it to the counter and the woman was torn between ringing me up and running to the back room because her tea water was about to boil.

I told her to go on, and I'd wait, but she said she's got the egg half wrapped and it would be okay, she'd know when the water was hot. So with us both hitting it off with our chat we forget about the boiling water until there is a BOOM! We both stopped and looked at each other and she looked to the back and said, "Tea's ready!" And went running off with an apology she'll be right back. I stood there wondering what kind of tea kettle she was employing because I'd never heard one go BOOM! Well, she comes back and says she had some minor cleanup up but it could wait it was only water after all and it was hot to the touch so . . .

I couldn't let it go, I said, "What kind of kettle do you have?"

She looked at me over her glasses and said, "Oh not a kettle a microwave."

I started laughing, I couldn't help it.

"I put the cup in and it takes forever to heat because it's an old microwave and when it finally heats up, it overheats and then the door flies open and the water bursts, so I have to overfill the teacup each time but the boom you heard is the microwave exploding. I did unplug it, best to do that you know, it is old. Once you start it you don't want to be there when the water gets hot."

I would think not. I was like OK. Was strange, she never blinked, just ran back there to unplug the machine before it set fire to the place. Never in me life R. Linda. Just had to share that, the highlight of me day so far.

Gabe
Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved

No comments: