05 March, 2023

Sciatica Can Be Fun -- No?

05 March 2023

1092

R. Linda:

So here's the tale, Sonja and Elmer both discovered at the same time they had sciatica. Elmer went to physical therapy for stretching exercises, while Sonja was given Meloxicam anytime she had a twinge. These two were doing great until both got a flare-up at the same time!

I was at my town hall to pay for me dog license and the waiting room had three others ahead of me. I sat down and as we were a small country village, I recognised one of the people waiting and said hello, and then nodded to the other two in greeting. The couple who were Sonja and Elmer were regaling Joe (the man I knew), about their medical ills. Because I was there I found meself included in the conversation.

"Last month we both had a bout of the sciatic, ah-yuh," Elmer said.

"Oh yes, and it was at the same time!" Sonja said as if she was still stunned that such could occur.

"Ah-yuh, we had gone to bed all achy and the next morning we woke at the same time. I tried to sit up but found the pain was too much and I was afraid if I tried, I'd make it worse. Sos I say to the wife, Sonja, can ya come round and help me out of bed, my back is keeping me from it. And she said . . . well tell em' what you said honey."

"I said I couldn't get up either because my back was out."

"So what did you do? Call 911?" Joe asked.

"Ah no, we couldn't reach our phones. They were on our respective nightstands and to stretch out for one would have been painful."

"What did you do?" I asked after they paused and seemed to be deep in thought remembering.

"Well, I started to slide outen' my side but Sonja stopped me. She said, "If you slide out of bed and I slide out of bed, who's going to help us up, we'll both be on the floor on either side of the bed.""

"I thought that, well, if one of us did that maybe that one could crawl to the living room where the landline was and the table it was on is lower than the nightstands," Sonja explained. 

"I volunteered to do it and so I tried to slowly and gently slide my way off the bed. Now we have a rather old-fashioned bed, and the new mattresses they make nowadays make it taller, so you get that when I slid I went fast and couldn't stop myself as there was nothin' to hold onta. I was on the floor in nuthin flat and flat was the word, I was flat on my back and had to try to twist myself to turn over so I could crawl, but the more I rocked my body to the left, the more my back was killin' me." Elmer said.

"And I couldn't see em' so I had no idea what he was doin' down there."

"She starts shoutin' at me "Whaddaya doin' down there Elmer?" And I was tryin' my best not to cry out from the pain I was in, so that got her thinkin' I musta passed out and next thing I knowed she slid outen' her side and she's yowling like a cat cause she hit the floor hard."

"Well yeah, I had nothin' to break my fall." Sonja pouted.

"So now you are both on the floor?" Joe was incredulous.

"We sure were," Sonja said with a giggle. "I could see him from under the bed and told him he had got us in a fine fix since now we were both in a pickle."

"I tried rolling and she was doing the same thing, only instead of rolling out the bedroom door, I found I was rolling toward the bathroom door. Not where the phone was. And her, well she was pushing with her legs on the carpet and not making much progress."

"But I have rugburn still." Sonja reminded him.

"Oh lord, what did you do? Obviously, you're here so you had to have gotten help." I said.

"Well, when I saw what she was doing I decided to try that but every time I pushed, my pajama bottoms started to slide down offin' me and she's right about rugburn, so I stopped that and got my breath and started rolling in the other direction and actually got myself to the bedroom door."

"And, his pants were still falling down with every effort to push himself. But he was making progress and when I saw him rolling I tried that and made it right up next to him." Sonja joined in. "

"BUT . . . " and Elmer gave Sonja a look, "We both got stuck in the doorway. She trying to pull up my pajama bottoms and me tryin' to roll away from her to git to the phone. She thought she could roll faster to the living room and started off at the same time I did. We were arms and legs entwined and not able to move because the doorway weren't that big the two of us could roll through at the same time." 

"It was then we had a bit of a shouting match at each other and we finally got untwined when I thought I heard someone at the door," Sonja said brightly.

"It was not a someone, but a what. I thought for certain it was someone come to visit but then I heard scratchin' at the door. I said to her, "If that's your squirrel I'm gonna be real unhappy.""

"Wait, squirrel? You own a squirrel?" Joe asked confused.

"No, she feeds this tree rat that comes to the window bird feeder and she slips scraps under the screen at it and so it's become her pet," Elmer explained looking hard at Sonja with disapproval.

"Only it weren't Fred (I named him Fred -- the squirrel), it was the neighbor's dog that comes over to chase my squirrel," Sonja said with a lot of annoyance.

"Our front door ain't ever locked ya see and the dog is a Great Dane mix so ee's a biggen', name a Brutus and he lets himself in on occasion. So thinking it had to be Brutus I started callin' at 'em to come. I figured if I could roll/push myself into the hallway, I could reach the desk where the post-a-notes are and write a note, tape it on old Brutus, and send him home for help."

"Best laid plans," Sonja said sarcastically and got a dirty look from Elmer.

"Well now the door sprung open and guess what was standin' and I mean standin' in the front doorway. Ya guessed it FRED. On two legs yet, wringing his front paws together like he was worried. Um hum." Elmer said clamping his jaws together in unhappiness. 

"I could see Fred so I called to him to come on in," Sonja said as Elmer shook his head angrily. "So Fred hesitated then he got down on all fours and hopped on in. He didn't come close but stopped and was like, sizing up the situation."

"Sizing up the situation, would you stop!" Elmer threw at her. "That damn rodent could care less all he cared about was sizing up the kitchen and then going to the kitchen which is where he went and he found the loaf of bread on the table and started eating, all the while staring at us like he knew we could do nuthin' bout it."

"Oh me gosh," I said imagining the scene.

"But help was on the way!" Sonja cajoled.

"Oh sure it was in the form of another critter standin' in the doorway sizing up the situation as my wife likes to call it. It was Brutus this time and as SHE started calling him, he saw the tree rat and you know how dogs are about squirrels and he was off charging into the kitchen after the damn thing." Elmer sighed.

"And a fine mess he made of my kitchen too!" Sonja complained. "Fred shot right up on the counter and the toaster hit the floor and as Brutus jumped up he got caught in the microwave wire and down that machine came crashing to the floor. Fred was agile as a cat and climbed the kitchen curtains I guess to get out the window, but the window was closed and Brutus was jumping at his tail over the sink, and Fred was chittering up a storm of protest when finally McManus came to the door looking for his dog and sees us sprawled on the floor, the dog and Fred rippin' up the kitchen, well once he got the dog out he got a broom but I told him to open the window so Fred could jump out but he didn't wanna git bit so he weren't gonna do it, so I told him to help me up and I'd do it." Sonja was near breathless explaining what happened.

"Meanwhile, because McManus didn't close the door tight enough Brutus was back and at the squirrel who had leapt to the overhead kitchen light and was sitting up there like he was laughin' at Brutus which made Brutus mad. McManus had me half up and then nearly dropped me when he saw his dog come racing in, but I managed to catch the doorknob to keep from falling. I left Sonja where she was because my back was killin' me and I didn't want to do myself more harm."

"Yeah left me there. Typical man, his backside hanging out of his pj's." Sonja said her eyes narrow as she looked Elmer up and down like he had quite the nerve.

"So what happened next?" Joe asked enthralled.

"Well, because of my back, McManus had to haul his dog out on his own, he came back and got Sonja upright and then she opened the window and Fred made his escape, but you know who was under the window waitin' doncha? Yeah well, we ain't seen Fred since." Elmer said somewhat satisfied.

"Brutus got Fred?" Joe asked horrified.

"Now Joe, don't look so shocked. It was a rat with a fluffy tail and no, Fred got away but he has half of that fluffy tail, Brutus did manage to chomp down but he only got the tip and not the meat. The tree rat made his way up the oak tree and hasn't been down since. Probably bemoaning the loss of part of that tail he liked shaking at me." 

Elmer and Sonja's story ended there as they were called into the town clerk's office. I sat looking amused at Joe who was still looking a bit shaken. 

"Really?" I asked him. "You think any of THAT was true?"

I could see he hadn't thought that, instead he had swallowed that tall tale hook, line, and sinker.  But did he? 

It was a while before they came hobbling out. I had to admit they looked like the sciatic flareup was still going on and that I believed, but all the rest of it . . . I dunno. I know Joe believes it is all truth, but being brought up in the land of Blarney, one can't believe everything they hear, eh?

Gabe

Copyright © 2023 All rights reserved

1 comment:

Fionnula said...

I still think the story is funny. I laughed. maybe its the way you write but it had me hook line & sinker