10 February, 2023

Oh For Heaven's Sake! Crazies In Me Family

 10 February 2023

1090

R. Linda:

I will say, it has been a frustrating start to the year 2023. Not only have I been a nurse to my wife and her COVID, but I have also been a soccer mom to our kiddos. While the wife was down, I was running up and down the stairs with trays of food to keep her going, I was driving from one end of the kingdom to the other getting each kiddo to their after-school activity. On top of all this, the Dragon Lady decided to come to help and as you know by now she is no help at all, just another person yours truly has to put up with when the times are inconvenient. 

Starting me off was my middle child Guido and the wrestling team. Yup, the kiddo be a brute of a lad and can take just about anyone down and does! Including me, in one fell swoop I found meself on the floor in the parlour after batting at his head playfully he got hold of my midsection, and wham, me big self was on the boards!

He did it playfully but I wasn't expecting a takedown. Sort of embarrassed me to be felled by a 14-year-old. This led to his older brother O'Hare thinking that looked like great fun and that he could do the same to brother Guido. Well, think again older brother. Now O'Hare is as tall as me and he's 16 but Guido is built like a bull, whereas O'Hare and I are long tall skinny guys. It took one second for Guid to turn O'Hare upside down and slam! Yup. So that was two of us looking foolish.

Anyway, Guido takes after your fancy of having different colour hair. He's been au naturale for a little over a year, but decided to go PURPLE! Yes, your favourite hair colour. He came down after school for his ride to a wrestling match. I hardly recognised the laddie. The purple was screaming bright and I'd never seen that shade before so I was a bit taken aback I was. He was very proud of it, his girlfriend who was visiting applied something to his dark locks and voile! She was grinning and looking very proud and yes, he has a girlfriend. 

An aside here, all three of my kiddos have girlfriends. O'Hare, the eldest is with girlfriend number 2 which be a good thing because the first one looked and dressed just like him and I couldn't tell them apart. I know crazy for a parent not to be able to tell what child be theirs. The smallest one the 7-year-old (since pre-school), has been "in love" with Erin a wisp of a girl and they have playdates all the time since then and I will tell you they are inseparable. This bothers me the most, but what can I say? Guido, who be a middle school jock has girls galore and will tell you how he's the best-looking guy at school. I don't know who he is sometimes. This last gets his brother O'Hare in fits of ego blasting but that doesn't phase the middle lad in any way, shape, or form.

So, with me wearing sunglasses in order to drive to the competition, we get out and make our way into the gymnasium. The first person we meet is the coach. The man almost walked by us not recognising his star athlete. He blinked (probably because of the brightness emanating off Guido's head like a halo) and did a double-take, and then with eyes wide open (I don't know how he did that without going blind), he stopped and said, "Guido? Is that you?"

To which the young hooligan replies, "Yeah, I better be because I'm wearing his underwear."

I tell ya! 

I was about to hit the bleachers and watch the matches, when I got a text message from cousin Sean, asking where I be, and I told him, so he said he was down at Dunks not far and would bring me a coffee and join me at the match. Just the person I didn't want to see because, well because. 

About five minutes later, the match started, and Sean carrying two cups of joe. One was a large Dunkin's cup and the other was Starbucks. Hum, I thought, this is new. And if he was at Starbucks why didn't he get me coffee from there? I have in the past months discovered Dunks coffee isn't as tasty as it used to be and have been favouring Starbucks instead and Sean knows this. 

He, of course, handed off the Dunks to me and took a sip of his Starbucks. I looked at him questioningly like wtf? 

"Oh," says he, "Don't let this fool ya. I am not about to spend $7 bucks on Starbucks when I can get it for $5 at Dunks. I saved a Starbucks cup so I empty Dunks in it and everyone has no clue or be the wiser."

I just looked at him. There were no words, but these (said silently in my head), "Sean, you are a cheap son of a b and pretentious to boot, if only you looked the part you arse."

The culmination of my evening was finding the Dragon had arrived at me house and was ensconced in my living room watching the telly and munching on homemade caramel popcorn. 

She regaled me how she was glad she didn't come up when it was negative 11. And here I was thinking if she had I could have put her out and locked the door and then I'd have no more Dragon as the bane of my existence. Oh yes, those thoughts go through me demented mind as wishful thinking. 

"It was a balmy 12 the next day," I told her. "Today it was like Florida, a warm 20 degrees."

She snorted at that, yes she did, a Dragon snort without the fire coming out of her nose. 

She was watching Dr. Pol and one of the office vets, Dr. Brenda was on her way to administer aid to a reindeer. But Dragon didn't hear that. She turned to me and said this: "Why on earth would a veterinarian need to render aid to rain gear?" Oh no, I thought here we go. I corrected this and then the narrator on the program said, "There aren't too many veterinary hospitals that take reindeer as clients." 

"WHAT?" Shouted the Dragon, "Do reindeer have tonsils?" Oi!

"NO, he said hospitals, not tonsils." I could see I was in for an evening I was. 

She decided to switch channels and we were next watching the evening news. The presenter was in the middle of a story about Biden's border visit. And I got a confused look from Dragon as she looked at me and said, "Biden has a brother?" 

"NO BORDER not brother!" I was exasperated.

This went one more crazy way when the presenter (on the same story) told about a bold woman making the trek from lower Venezuela, to the El Passo border, and was interrupted by Dragon in this way: "What's an old woman doing travelling alone and on foot all that way?"

I gave up and went to bed. Where I would like to stay until the Dragon goes home.

Gabe

Copyright © 2023 All rights reserved

1 comment:

Fionnula said...

interesting characters in your family. I had to laugh at you being put to the floor by your kid. you must have been shocked. dragon has to go! its a wonder you are not in psychoanalysis.