04 February, 2024

Valentine Tulips...a little dried out and way over their due date

04 February 2024

1108

R. Linda:

Well, I guess it's never too late to buy tulips. Yes, indeed. I was at the chemist to pick up some Valentine's Day chocolates and usually they run out if you don't buy early, and well one-stop shopping and all that appeals to this Irishman. So I ran in and got three small Valentine's chocolate hearts for the kiddos (small because chocolate wires them up and well . . . you get the picture), and two big ones for the wife and the Mam. I usually buy tulips for me Mam so she doesn't feel left out and the tulips sell fast so I get them early. I went to the front of the store where the tulips usually reside and what did I find? THIS: 

Long Life Tulips from 2018

Uhhh . . . Seriously? I had me pick of red or yellow. There were five nicely dried-out and dead plants to choose from for the price of $9.99 each (what a bargain, right?). The roots had water in the slot below which gave me pause. A couple of petals were dropped on the counter making me wonder how it was the others hadn't dropped all the petals after that amount of time. More importantly, why were they there in the first place? It is 2024, and these certainly looked like they were leftover from what the sign said 2018. Long life? I don't think so.

As you may guess I didn't buy one. Though I was tempted, I wasn't sure Mam would get the joke, instead, she might be chasing me around the house threatening to dump them on my head, so I refrained (hard as that was). I ended up buying none. She has a tulip garden and plants her Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Easter tulips every year in the ever-expanding tulip garden. She isn't much for cut flowers, so I had been counting on early tulips. 

The florist is where I get roses for the wife, and I do that on THE day, her favourite, Valentine's Day. I will have to see if they have any planted tulips (usually they have the cut ones). If I am unable to find tulips with the bulbs I don't know what I will do. Perhaps a tulip IOU. Yes, that's the ticket. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share another mishap in the great state of New Hampshire. I tell ya, from dumpster diving to shooting your son's girlfriend, to locking the door from the police (and you only the babysitter), to dead tulips, it's never dull up here in snowman land. 

Gabe

Copyright © 2024 All rights reserved


1 comment:

Fionnula said...

nooooooo lolololol your poor mumzie. I hope you find tulips before the 14th