31 December, 2020

A Sober Reality

 31 December 2020

1013

R. Linda:

I cannot tell you how glad I will be to see 2020 go. I know 2021 will be off to a rocky start, but I be bolstering me confidence by year's end that things will be better. At least, I hope so. I want more than anything for all the kiddos to play together and learn together like they used to. I want them to feel at ease when they go out and not worry about the man openly carrying his AK47 down the street in town. I want the bullying online and off to stop and for everyone to care about each other. I know that is asking a lot, but my heart is desperate for all this to happen.

I never considered meself a bleeding heart liberal and genuinely am not. Instead, I be one of thousands, if not millions, of concerned citizens who see wrongs being bandied all over the place and nothing being done to stop them.

A year of stifling boredom, as my eldest says, reminds me of the stories of what families used to do before there were electronics and the telly to take one's mind off troubles. There was no time for boredom; everyone had a job to do, and it was no sleepless nights because, by the end of the day, everyone was tired and slept well. But I don't have a farm or small manufacturing venture for us to do any of that. Cleaning one's room isn't the same as cleaning out the goat or pig pen, and feeding the cat or dog isn't like feeding the cows and horses. Telling me kiddos stories my grandparents told me means little to them since they are brought up in a world of make-believe. 

They joke that my Da walked uphill to his school barefoot, the wind in his hair and then back uphill to go home. Ha, ha, funny they are. They know it all, but when there is nothing to do, they seemingly know nothing. The imagination used for playing with inanimate toys is gone. They look at the old Star Wars figures and don't know what to do with them. They don't take on roles with each one and play "toys", as Mam would say; instead, they put them neatly in boxes and tell us what collector's items they are.

With all this "quality" family time (another of Mam's phrases), you'd think we all would appreciate our blessings and not complain it isn't enough. Times are hard for everyone, not just one person struggling to survive, but many. People with excellent jobs suddenly find themselves turned out of their abodes and in food lines. 

We can play the blame game, but there is no time for that. Help needs to be right away, not an afterthought. These people who tote their guns and signs (some without masks) make the rest of us uneasy. While I understand the idea of protest, are guns really necessary? 

I will come down off my soapbox and just say I wish that all of us would find the harmony and quiet pulse of life again where we are free to go about our business, free to breathe without a mask someday soon, free to mingle and enjoy all the things put on hold for now. I hope, most of all, we all find peace in our hearts, count all the blessings we do have and not worry over what we do not.

Here are some GOOD memories of this past year; I try to find the good in a bad year.

Looking through my old neighbour's window at me old abode on New Year's last. Remembering a good friend lost and fond memories of me moving up to New Hampshire

                                     Valentine's Day - A time to show our love for one another

St Patrick's Day - We celebrate our heritage to remember who we are and where we came from

Spring came with much fanfare

Easter - full of calming influences and a celebration of life

                                          Summer came, and so did the wild beauty around us

Our Anniversary - a moment or two of exquisite satisfaction of a life well lived together - before the kiddos found us

                                One of many late summer rainbows, things we made wishes on

                As the long shadows began to fall, our summer was nearing its end, but not our dreams

Halloween - though no trick or treating, we made the best of it

                                  Thanksgiving, and we had a lot to be thankful for and we still do

With fall, the turkeys came, but not around Thanksgiving. Are they wise or what?

                                        
Christmas was quiet. We sat at table a lot longer than we had ever done before, enjoying each other

    If only through the looking glass I could see a sublime future, I'd wish it for all a Happy New Year!
           
Gabe

Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved

4 comments:

Fionnula said...

no truer words

Wolfie said...

Well put. Powerful message. I hope you are heard. I wish you a healthy, safe, and happy new year as I wish that for all of us.

Maggie said...

Deep introspection taken. We, all of us, need some fresh, clean, clear air to breathe soon. I wish those that read this a Happy New Year and hope 2021 is a better year for all.

Tomas said...

Happy New Year Gabe! By your photos you went all out for the celebrations to break up the staleness of being stuck at home. Memories your boys will cherish I am sure.