17 July, 2020

Neowise Comet at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday NNW

17 July 2020
994

R. Linda:

Two nights ago, O'Hare told me the space station was flying over and he wanted to see it, would I like to accompany him on the mosquito-infested back porch at sunset to watch it? Why for sure, I love getting bitten by those nasty buggers, so I went with him, after liberally spraying meself with repellant for all the good it did.

There we were swatting at our necks, arms, and legs (we both foolishly dressed in shorts and tee shirts) and we almost missed the space station floating overhead. He started pointing at it, "Look, look, Da up there, we almost missed it!"

And sure enough, there was the bluish glow of the bright space station further afield than I would have liked but I had been busy swatting and dancing around the deck. I turned around and looked behind me where the space station had come from and there in the sky was this reddish twinkling star and it looked like it had a tail. I knew it wasn't Mars, it was too small and Mars wasn't in that part of the sky.

"What be that?" I said pointing behind me.

O'Hare had to tear his eyeballs away from the retreating space station to the place where in the sky I was pointing, and then he said, "Oh YEAH that's the NEOWISE COMET! I almost forgot about THAT."

Well, he did forget about it. If I hadn't said anything we would have been inside slathering ourselves with calamine lotion.

I got the only pictures of the comet, his camera wouldn't function or more like he couldn't see out of the viewer to find the comet (I tell ya, kids!). So I be sharing them for want of anything else to send you, since life be steadily boring and looks like with this pandemic surge it will be going that way for quite a while longer. Oi!

First shot

Second shot

Same as above but lightened up

Gabe
Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved

5 comments:

mobit22 said...

LMAO you need to get a telescope with a camera attached. Good pictures for a phone shot?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Yup, a phone shot. The "good" camera makes it hard to find your target through the viewer for some reason and when you do find it, for some reason the shot isn't as good as the phone.

Hughes said...

Not bad for a mobile phone and very cool.

Fionnula said...

that is neat all we have up here are ufos i know boring!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

You're funny Fionnula.