20 October, 2012

Back to the Waverley Inn and homeward bound

598

20 October 2012

R. Linda:

We arrived in the rain to Halifax. What a beautiful place it is (even in the rain), and to be sure we were sad to leave it. The best part about our return was to check in at the Waverley and get our room back. You don't know how happy we were to be in a large, well-appointed room, that was clean and inviting.

Just walking in that front door to sparkling floors, crystal chandeliers, cheery people and warm welcomes back made us feel like we were HOME.

The other nice thing about the Waverley is the tea and coffee bar in the great hall next to check-in. After the hard slog in the rain, we were never so happy to get a cup of tea and sit in the front parlour just to unwind. Once we had something hot down us, I asked Mike (the day desk concierge), about finding a place we didn't have to get dressed up to have dinner. He recommended Henry House just a short walk away from the Waverley.

Perfect for us, it was still raining and Henry House was merely steps away so we did not get soaked. From the outside Henry House is a dark stoned manse. It looks like granite, but I didn't stand in the rain to see for sure. It has English food and is styled as a Brit pub so I felt right at home.
 
 


The place was warm and welcoming. It is set up like a better English pub and the food was rustic, hearty fare. The choice of beer though was a surprise, no Guinness. I settled for a domestic stout instead and though it wasn't as tasty as Guinness, it was still a good choice. I ordered the steak and kidney pie and have to say it had a robust gravy that enhanced the dish.

After we had first sat down, I did have a bit of a jolt when Tonya nudged me under the table and whispered, "So your friend Weasil is here."

I will say me heart stopped for a quick minute as I almost jumped up. I looked around and coming towards me was a blond-haired young man who could have been the Weasil's doppelganger. I must have looked at him strangely because he looked at me the same way, but thank the fates it wasn't the Weasil, just someone who looked enough like him to give me a moment.

Anyway, he was very nice and very helpful with his suggestions, he was everything Weasil wasn't. Tonya took a picture of the bar and he happens to be standing there (he's in the middle).

 

The prices were good, and I'd definitely go back there if I were to visit Halifax again.

After dinner, we went back to the inn. We sat in the hallway and talked to Mike and a few other guests who stopped to chat. We had heard a few nights before that Halifax Airport was closed because of potholes in the runway. The next day the excuse was a bomb scare, and finally, it was closed because of a sinkhole. Whichever it was, the airport was open and our flight was still leaving on schedule.

The next morning after a very good night's sleep we left for Halifax Airport and Air Canada. I noticed full body scanners there but we weren't taken out of line for one. Amazing! Our flight home, this time was a jet, and that made Tonya very happy. It left on time and we arrived to find we do indeed live in a small world. Our limo driver asked us where we had been, and then laughed, "I'm from there, Church Point." We had been to Church Point. He told us he was Acadian and asked us if we had seen St. Marie's Church which has the highest steeple in Nova Scotia. We had! You couldn't miss it.

                                                                                         

The leaves had already changed we noticed as we made our way home. While it is good to be home, I will miss the inns, Halifax in particular, and most of all the people of Nova Scotia. They made us feel at home and welcomed more than any country we've visited. Even though we had two straight days of downpours, we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Gabe
Copyright © 2012 All rights reserved

6 comments:

Dew said...

The Weasil look alike has an expression of why is my picture being taken on his face LOL. Thanks for all the great stories and for taking us along on your journey. Has been amusing, informative and I especially enjoyed all your amazing photos. A picture paints a thousand words which complimented such descriptive ones of your own making me feel I was right there too enjoying every moment. Thank you.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Why thank you for the kind words. I know there were times on this trip the two of us sounded like the Bickersons but rain and scary wrong turn dirt roads do tend to stress us. The best was we found three inns worth recommending, DesBarres Manor, The Waverley Inn, and Blomidon Inn for not only accommodations but the wonderful food. We also found the best people on earth live in Nova Scotia. We enjoyed two restaurants one fine (The Press Gang) the other informal (Henry House) plus we enjoyed the city of Halifax, her gardens, her attractions and her warmth. I hope one day you get to go there. There is so much more I'd recommend, so if you do go, write me and I'll give you some suggestions.

Dew said...

Thank you. One day I would very much like to go there in the flesh, but if there are any propeller planes involved, unlike Tonya, I wouldn't be able to get on one. Especially if there is no bathroom. Oi! LOL

Fionnula said...

i'm sad your trip is over i can't wait for another one! and i'm surprised weasil didn't show up! lmao you mustn't have told him you were going away. i loved the photos and all the stories, i felt like i was there too!

mobit22 said...

Ok, you're home now and I'm sitting here snowbound waiting in an empty room for a story to drop on my bald head.LOL

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I'm coming. Gees no rest for the wicked, I mean weary. Been sort of unexciting since I've arrived back. I thought you were busy decorating the castle for Halloween. Hanging spider webs and all that sort of thing.