07 November, 2009

Gabriel O'Sullivan -- Hooligan (me childhood)

February 2003
17

R. Linda:

In me prior letter, memories of Sister Anne came slamming back. I did mention me father was instrumental in her being relieved of her teaching post. One would have thought me Mam would have done something about the abuse, and in thinking back on it, I thought I'd write you about that incident.

I did not board at a school, as the school of me mother's choice was three houses from where we lived. Me mother was intimidated by the Church and I never came home crying about what Sister Anne might have said or done to me, because I knew it would upset her. But me sister sure would tell her. I never thought anything of the ruler usage because they punished me friends as well with it. Me father told me to always speak up, loud and clear he said, and speak me mind; so I did and every time it got me a slap on the hands or the rear end.

This went on for some four years before he got wind of it. Me mother knew, but it was a normal thing she thought, only he didn't like his flesh and blood being hit by another woman, and it did not matter she was a nun. Off he went with me ruler in hand to give her some of what she had been giving to me. Me sainted mother tried to stop him, but off he went dragging me with him. It was a sight, me being dragged by the coat collar, him, ruler in hand marching up the steps to the convent to have a "word."

Sister Angela James was the Principle and she was a tough old bird if ever there was one. She had her own ruler and I thought for a few minutes, as heated words went from her mouth to me Da's, that a ruler duel was about to commence, because they were shaking them at each other as they shouted. He finally went to Father Nolan and had Sister Anne removed. Not only that, he said something that got Father on Sister Angela too!

Sister Angela used to stand at the door to the school as we would file in, slapping her ruler on her palm. When I got passed her she'd bring it down with a mighty whap on her palm so I'd hear it and move faster. She did intimidate me, but I was soon pulled from that school because an interesting thing happened, I started flunking everything! When I got me school test papers all me answers were pretty right on, but I flunked anyway for "poor penmenship." Himself, me sainted father, decided something was afoot and took the bunch of them to Father Nolan and demanded an explanation. Sister Agnes, me new teacher was called before his Holiness and came up with some bird chirping explanation about her eyesight being poor, and me handwriting being light and sloppy. Me father pulled me and me sissy from St. Mary's and Sister Agnes was sporting a new pair of glasses.

At the new school it was a mix of Proddy and Catholic children and while we had no sisters watching us, we did have gang fights with each other in the school yard, where no adult said a word, instead they turned their backs and let us fight it out.

When I'd return home with scrapes and such, me Da would ask what on earth I had been doing with me face to get it so scabby. When I told him, he'd raise his fist in the air and say, "That's me boyo!" much to me mother's horror.

I love me school days, I was one of the 'hooligans' and we'd bully and be as obnoxious as we knew how to be. It wasn't until I left elementary levels that I settled down. That's when the drinking took over. No, only fooling with you.

Gabe
Copyright © 2003 All rights reserved

No comments: