23 September, 2026

Fast Food, Slow Revenge

23 September 2026

2017

R. Linda: 

I tell ya! Ms Jaio is becoming a real pain in the arse. Because I introduced her to Sam, she considers me the enemy. How was I to know things would go horribly wrong at her and Sam's dinner? How is it I be the one that threw her life into turmoil?

First and foremost, I thought I was doing her a favour by introducing her to a very nice (if not eccentric) guy, whom she approved of at first meeting. Second, I wasn't at the dinner to see a misguided proposal go south (See Story #2001 Hammocks, Matchmaking, and a Misplaced Diamond, 16 August, 2026), so how am I responsible? Third, self-turmoil is of her own creating, not mine. Ok, I asked to talk it out with her and help bolster Sam's side of the story, but she won't even let me utter the first syllable of his name. 

As a result, she's been morose for weeks now. 

Today, we were on the road for an assignment, and on the way back we decided to stop at a fast-food chain for lunch. We didn't have time to go in, so we would eat when we got back to the office. 

So we pulled up. A car was by the checkout, and we were at the menu station. We decided what we wanted and pulled forward to order.

Meanwhile, a packed car of children, with a woman whose hair stuck out from her head like she'd been pulling it out, drove up at the menu station. We'd just finished ordering when the packed car pulled up behind and bumped us. Not enough to think there was damage, but we both turned around and looked.

 The driver had an irritated what? look on her face and waved us on so she could place her massive order. 

Ms Jaio pulled up behind the guy getting his order and told me that the woman behind us was clearly losing it. I heard her pull up behind us, yelling at the kiddos.

"STOP IT, JUST STOP IT!" 

The takeout window was taking their time. Maybe the guy in front of us had a big order. Neither of us was paying attention until the woman with the carload of kiddos started honking her horn and shouting at us to move on.

Now, I have had a carload of kiddos and know it can be stressful because they say and do things to each other that start a lot of havoc. I also know that when you double that with hungry kiddos, it isn't an easy job to cart them anywhere, and you feel certifiable by the time you drop them all off. 

But this moronic behaviour from the driver was way over the top. 

"No wonder kiddies act crazee." Ms Jaio commented, watching the woman in the rearview mirror. "Driver iz nutso!"

I looked around. The woman was yelling at the kiddos while they laughed.

Yes, laughed at her.

I had a little sympathy for her until she leaned on the horn and yelled out the window at us. Watching her made us miss the fact that the other driver had pulled off with his order. 

Some of what she yelled, and the names she called us, made me angry. But Ms Jaio wanted her coffee and sanny and was telling me to ignore the woman. 

So we pulled up to the window.

Ms Jaio was smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

I thought either she's finally lost it, OR she had a devious idea swimming around in her head.

She smiled apologetically at the worker.

"Gee, I sorry I have second order to pay for. The big one. This first is his." 

She smiled at me and handed the man her card, then handed me mine.

"Oh, no problem, Miss."

And of course, it took a little longer.

I knew the woman behind us' patience had left the building long ago. She started shouting at not only us, but the worker.

At first, I was mystified by what Ms Jaio was doing. Then the worker handed over MY order. 

The other order came a moment later.

Ten bags of hamburgers.

Ten drinks.

One coffee.

And a coffee roll.

I caught on.

Suddenly, I was buried under food. I had drinks between me knees and bags everywhere, which made it hard for me to move. Me main concern was how I was going to get out of the car when we got back. 

When we saw the coffee roll, Ms Jaio commented that it was obviously the woman's, and we were doing her a favour by not giving her a sugar high. She'd probably yell louder at the laughing kiddos. 

"Yup, we did good deed for day," She said, all happy with herself. 

We slowly pulled over to watch what happened.

The woman pulled up to find she had no order. 

She had to place it all over again. 

BUT because there was a line of cars behind hers, the worker made her pull to the back of what had become a very long lunch line. 

Yup.

She had to wait with 10 hungry and rambunctious kiddos in a vehicle where she couldn't get out and leave them. She had to listen to them complaining. 

We pulled out and started back to the office. 

"What are we going to do with all this food?" I asked.

"Give it to co-workers."

She smiled at me.

A vengeful smile, one filled with happy self-satisfaction, of a caper well done.

After that, she was back to her old self. 

Let's hope it lasts.

Gabe

Copyright © 2026 All rights reserved 

1 comment:

  1. i've had that happen where someone was in a hurry and it was the fault of the eatery not me in line that was taking so long. i laughed at your story it brought up that memory.

    ReplyDelete

ONLY COMMENTS PERTAINING TO THE BLOG WILL BE PUBLISHED. ALL COMMENTS WITH ADVERTISEMENT ATTACHMENTS WILL BE DELETED AND IGNORED. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!