25 August, 2024

UK News vs. Important News

 24 August 2024

1124

R. Linda:

After listening to the Dragon read today's headlines, me correcting her, and the wife getting furious that the headlines were what they were (no substance, just a lot of fluff), I thought about it and was inspired to share my frustration with you because I know how much you like shared angst. 

In the past few years, news reporting has lost its unbiased nature and become rather snarky. But nothing beats the UK press, which tends to focus on celebrities instead of what is happening worldwide. Perhaps that is better than worrying if WW3 is around the corner. I, for one, want to know if it is. I don't care if Ed Westwick is married. I don't know the dude and certainly was not invited to the wedding. I opened one online UK news source and got the headline story on the Princess of Wales attending church. She's a better "Catholic" than I am; forgive the slur, but then a few hours later, the same story was reworked. For your perusal, here it is:

"Kate Middleton, 42, (in case you forgot her age) appeared in high spirits as she was pictured arriving for Sunday service with her husband William.

"Also snapped making their way to the Scottish church were King and Queen Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Edinburg -- along with their son, and Tim Lawrence. 

"The Princess sported (Yes, sports fans, she sported, not wore, but sported) the same hat she donned last year for a Sunday church service (Oh, the nerve of her to wear that hat twice!)      when she donned a beige tartan Marlborough trench coat from Holland Cooper with a dark brown wool felt fedora with feathers." (I am racking my brains out trying to remember the ensemble, but the good news is that she matched the browns wonderfully, I am sure. However, later, they revamped this paragraph to inform us she was wearing that ensemble today, so which was it? An old reworm outfit or something new?)

Do we care what she wore a while back? Can we remember all that? Most curiously, is it that important we do? But wait, there is more:

"The stylish hat, from Hicks & Brown, retailed for  £99 and comes in a variety of other colours such as camel, dusky pink and maroon."

I'm so glad the hat is still stylish after a year, but what if it was not? Why must we know where she bought these items and how much they cost? This sounded to me more like a commercial for Hicks & Brown when we actually have the colours the hat comes in a list! Are we all likely to run out and buy one? I think not. Unless we all look as good as Princess Kate in a feathered brown fedora, why bother? And indeed, yours truly would look quite ridiculous in these things.

But this paragraph was rearranged later to read:

"The hat is a favourite of the mother-of-three, who previously wore it almost a year ago to the day  -- at Crathie Kirk with her family."

So, why the correction? So, she wore it a year ago to the same place. What is the secret message in her appearance in the same outfit?  But wait, you males in the audience, here is something for you and me!

"William drove the car, smiling as he chatted with his wife and opting for a navy blue suit for the occasion. 

I'm so glad William can drive a car and chat at the same time. Gees! But the fact that Kate was wearing brown and he was wearing blue, well,. . . that clashes, doesn't it? According to my wife's mother, you never pair the two together unless you are wearing a bright blue suit with bright brown leathers. Let THAT sink in, why don't you?

"Meanwhile, Charles, 75, and Camilla, 76, made a colourful appearance in Scottish tartan ensembles."

I am so glad to be reminded of the monarchs' ages. I might have forgotten they are older than me; it is nice to be reminded, and I am sure they both appreciate that.

"The Queen opted for a bright green blazer, adorned with red collar detailing and buttons, teamed with a matching hat."

So, we have blue, brown, and now green—the sky, the earth, and . . . Christmas! I was reassured to read that buttons were adorning the blazer, but the red detailing gave me pause; it seems a bit Christmasy, does it not?

"Her husband made a dapper style statement in a kilt, worn with a muted grey jacket."

Ah, now we are talking. He was styling too! Who knew? I be sure the Scots appreciated that. The "muted grey" of the jacket made him blend in perfectly with all those bright colours. No one would really notice him over the others. 

"Edward and his wife Sophie both appeared to go for chic beige ensembles, perfect for the end of the summer weather."

I can't help snickering up me sleeve at this. Taking a nod at Megan Markle with the beige blending, are we? I wouldn't worry about taking notice away from the grey-clad king for apparent reasons. But "chic"? I dunno about that. How "chic" can one be in beige?

Then, the article went on to talk about Kate's recovery, etc. It was a fluff article, but it was the headline article and that's what has me. Meanwhile, in the world, Hezbollah and Israel are bombing the hell out of each other, and the situation there is more dire than usual. Do we care that Oasis is set for a £50 million payday amid Noel's £20 million divorce? When thousands are without power as Hurricane Hone continues to pound Hawaii? Do we really need to know what the celebs are doing as the world goes to ruin?

Gabe

Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved

1 comment:

Fionnula said...

bravo mr. man. i noticed that the u.k. always puts politics second, world affairs, third and celebrities first.