02 September, 2013

Anniversary Done On The Cheap

02 September 2013
705

R. Linda:

Since I be telling stories from me recent trip, here be another. When me Grandfather had been in hospital, me parents spent a lot of time with him there. And as it was, they had to eat occasionally in the hospital cafeteria, and since he was on death's door before he found out about Rachel's party, the parents didn't want to leave hospital, just in case.

Anyway, as it seemed Grandfather was recovering he requested of his old friend Leo to go bring him some decent chow. This Leo did hobbling down from the 8th floor "penthouse" and "room with a view" to the cafeteria. There Leo found an orderly and asked him what was the most decent food in the joint and was shown over to the chicken fingers. These Leo loaded up on and off to the penthouse floor and me hungry Grandda he did go.

Upon sitting there feeling peckish, the parents were rather stunned to see such beautiful chicken fingers. Yes, fried to a perfect golden crust, and moist when bitten into, they were all astir where Leo got the glorious chicken. Upon learning it was none other than the cafeteria, the two went down and partook of the very same delicious fare that me Grandda and Leo were consuming in the penthouse wing.

Well, here it is then: as I was sitting in the kitchen at tea time, the parents were saying Tonya and I should go out for dinner and they would take care of the wee one since it would probably be a long time before we got to be out by ourselves. But both of us were suffering a bit of jet lag and having been up most nights with the newbie, we were too tired but appreciated the offer.

It then struck me that me parent's anniversary was almost upon them, and I asked if they had anywhere in particular picked out for a dinner celebration, and they said as a matter of fact they did. They had grown fond of chicken fingers and they hadn't had any since Grandda passed so they thought what they'd do is go to a very fine gift shop that happened to be a hallway down from the most delicious chicken fingers in all of Ireland, and so that was what they were going to do.

Yes, R. Linda, they were going to the hospital gift shop where they found prices cheaper than regular gift shops, and it was filled with things they like, like holiday decorations, cups and saucers and all the stuff old people like. But best of all, the cafeteria was just down the hall and even better it was cheaper than going anywhere else! I tell ya.

Gabe
Copyright © 2013 All rights reserved

4 comments:

Dew said...

I think that is so sweet!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

LOL I thought it was so nuts.

mobit22 said...

LMAO

It could have been worse! Just can't think of a less romantic place.LOL

Tomas said...

I think it is so cool. Why not? Probably has a twofold purpose, the anniversary with food that not only is comfort based, but it has fond memories of their ol'wan too.