21 September, 2012

Woman hallucinates she's Captain Jack and steals ferryboat

578

21 September 2012

R. Linda:

Imagine my surprise when I saw the headlines: Sentence handed down in the CAPTAIN JACK STEALS FERRY caper! Then in smaller print, Devon, England. At first, I wondered what happened. Did the Pearl sink and the captain needed a new boat? Had Speak Like A Pirate Day run amok for our Captain, or was the Captain so full of rum he had lost his wits and his ship and was reduced to stealing a . . . ferryboat?

Well, no it seems it wasn't our Captain Jack at all that stole the ferryboat, it was a Captain Jack wannabe! Yes, R. Linda, and it wasn't even a man who did the stealing it was a woman! A red-haired woman. At first, when I saw red-haired, I thought of YOU. But no, no, when I saw the actual mug shot there was no doubt she wasn't you, but possibly a cousin of Weasil's. I mean who else would steal a ferryboat? Well, ok Allison Whelan would. That be her name, and she even had a first mate, one Tristam Locke who went along for the ride to uh . . . well it was supposed to be a seafaring adventure all the way to St. Tropez! Alas, or avast! It was a dismal failure and a costly one.

As I found out this all happened last September, and at the ungodly hour of 3 a.m. But first, let us take a look at Captain Jack and then at the infamous Ms. Whelan to see the resemblance.
             
                                                                               
Even Captain Jack thinks something is fishy. Ali Whelan looks nothing like him. Uh duh!

So here's the scoop, Ms. Whelan a 51-year-old from Paignton, Devon, England and her "friend" Locke had been on a binge of sorts. Yes, they had. Ms. Whelan got very drunk on Lambrini which is a drink much like the wine coolers you can buy in this country. Anyway, she'd been at it for two days, which makes me wonder if she drank the entire Lambrini supply in Devon. And, as if that Lambrini wasn't enough, Ms. Whelan consumed deadly nightshade, resulting in hallucinations. The biggest hallucination was her thinking she was Captain Jack Sparrow and the ferryboat, the Dart Princess, was really the Black Pearl. Oi!

I must stop a moment and backtrack to the deadly nightshade aka belladonna plant. I have plenty of that stuff growing in vines around me rhododendrons. I be always pulling it out and know to be careful with it all the way down to the roots. The only thing I can think of was Ms. Whelan AKA Captain Whelan, brewed the berries as a tea and lucky for her she didn't kill herself (the word deadly nightshade isn't part of its description for nothing). But from what I understand she was "eating" the plant. Ewww! But probably by the time she ingested the deadly nightshade she had pickled her insides pretty well with the Lambrini. Lambrini by the way has a catchphrase: "Lambrini girls just wanna have fun," yesss and Captain Whelan was no exception!

So she gets herself down to Kingswear Harbour, spies the 100-seater Dart Princess of Dartmouth at the dock, and since no wildlife cruises to Torbay were on the schedule at 3 a.m., the ferry was empty and ripe for the pirating. I don't know maybe it was a combination of the drink, the weed, and that it was around the date of Talk Like A Pirate Day, that Captain Whelan got it into (what was left of her) brain, to pirate a ferryboat for a trip to the south of France.

                                                
The Dart Princess on a better day

As soon as the two reprobates were on board, Captain Whelan rang 999 because . . .  wait for it . . .  Captain Whelan thought she was having a seizure! Well, the alarm was raised causing medical technicians to race to the scene as the 45-foot vessel began to ease away from the dock. Upon arrival, the medical personnel tried to board, but first mate Locke would have none of that and became violent shoving one of them overboard. Meanwhile, Captain Whelan was incoherent and rambling at them as she untied the ferry setting it fully adrift and Locke kept up a verbiage of abuse in their direction.

Ambulance techie Peter Jordan and his colleague were forced to wait in their vehicle for the police to arrive as the ferry began her slow journey into the River Dart proper.

Jordan said, "We saw it drifting down the estuary, I heard a female voice saying they were pirates and asking what are we going to do now?" To which the technicians rang up the police and watched as the ferry drifted off, the only sound they could hear was Captain Whelan shouting, "I'm Jack Sparrow, I'm a pirate!"
  
 
Scene of the crime
   
Captain Whelan and first mate Locke joked about being kidnapped and Captain Whelan, upon seeing the arriving authorities threw out, "I believe this is out of your jurisdiction."

They all watched helplessly as the double-decker ferry drifted farther away from the pontoon and upon the river. An hour after and about a mile upstream, the authorities had by that time secured lifeboats to go bring the two pirates to task and tow the ferry back to its place at harbour.

The cost of this was stacking up, the chase included 30 ambulance, coastguard, police, and Royal National Lifeboat Institution officers. As the vessel drifted it collided with a catamaran and another vessel referred to as a Tomcat, racking up damages worth £1500!
  
Yup CAUGHT!

Captain Whelan upon her arrest said she kept tripping over the ropes, which is why she unfastened them and as a result, the Dart Princess was set adrift! Sigh. But she also said she, "would have ended up in St. Tropez" if she hadn't been caught. I tell ya! She also admitted she and Locke had been on a drinking binge and had consumed the deadly nightshade plant thus causing hallucinations and she felt a "bit cocky" with the drink only she panicked when she spied the police. She was a right mess of contradictions!

The ferry's operations manager, one Ashley Lane, said the pirates were "exceptionally lucky to be alive. If the tide had been going out instead of coming in the boat could have been pulled onto rocks and the two of them could have been killed." Whew! They dodged a bullet they did!

Maybe the two miscreants should "parlay" with the officers of the law - yeah that's the ticket

Prior to Captain Whelan's sentencing, earlier this year, Locke was charged with assaulting the ambulance techie and fined £100 for his trouble.

On this past Wednesday in front of the magistrates in Torquay, Captain Whelan pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking and was put in the goal for 122 days. The owners of the ferry, Paignton Pleasure Cruises commented that if the ferry had indeed floated out to sea, "It could have been serious." This makes me think they'd have broken up and crashed on rocks or high seas never making it to Brigitte Bardot's fav resort.

So to err is human and to arr is to pirate. Sigh. I sent this to our own esteemed Captain Jaack for comment. He said he thought, "Cappy Whelan took Talk Like A Pirate Day a tad too seriously," and furthermore, "I hope for her own sake that's really her face when drunk." Then he had an afterthought (unfortunately), "She could be used on health warning posters like, YOUNG PERSONS! DO NOT drink or TAKE drugs, you will end up looking like THIS!"


Captain rendering his serious opinion

And you say I can't be good! Well, Captain Whelan had a whale of a time she did. Her 5 minutes of fame are done, and so is me story.

Gabe
Copyright © 2012 All rights reserved


18 comments:

Capt Jaack said...

Here you go mate, is she too old to join the Royal Navy? I say there is nothing like an old salty sea dog and she's it. Seriously Cappy, I hear the Royal Navy is looking for defiant swashbucklers with a fighting spirit. What do you think? Should we send her name on?

mobit22 said...

LMAO

Thanks bud, for thinking I'd steal a ferry boat! if I DID take a boat, it would be a YACHT!
I though I looked old! Madam pirate looks like she's been keelhauled!LOL
and just for a giggle I'm shaving my head again this weekend!

Weaz said...

hee hee yo ho ho passie me the lambrini lmao an dunt fergit da nightshade!

Anonymous said...

Um. . .for a moment I thought. . .

Fionnula said...

thanks for letting me know there was a story before you left. have a great trip and bring back lots and lots of stories please.

on capt. whelan I gave her a good once over and if I blurred my eyes she still didn't look like capt. jack maybe if she smeared the makeup on her other eye too and wore a bandana with beads and in the the right lighting she might just begin to look like capt. barbarossa or Omarosa ... whichever.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Uh . . . no?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I wouldn't put anything past you doing it, LOL. As for the head shaving, you needn't do that I have died yet. ;-(

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

And they think I'm bad.

Maggie said...

OMG talk about bad to the bone Wolf. But I had to laugh.

Maggie said...

What is the old adage? It's all right to talk like a pirate, just don't become one? Might well apply in this case don't you agree?

mobit22 said...

the name omarosa sounds familiar. Wasn't she on the Apprentice?LOL

Irish Rogue said...

Thank you Gabe for letting me know about the story. Have a safe trip. All I can say for Ms. Whelan is 122 days sober will be a jolt.

Irish Rogue said...

You're both bad. Wolf, your sarcasm precedes you, LOL, and Gabe, you are no better. Poor woman is in need of psychiatric help and ... wait a second does she have my business card? Someone see she gets it, I'll try to fit her in.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I think that be the one.

Dew said...

Yes Gabe,this did take place in my neck of the woods and no, I don't know either of them and had nothing to do with it I swear!! LOL

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

No family resemblance or anything like that going on? LOL - just joking with ya Dew.

Okay I be getting ready to leave for airport, you'll all have to hold your comments until me return on Tuesday 2 Oct.!

mobit22 said...

Saved a box of dust bunnies and spiders for you! Can you smell the lemon Pledge?LOL

mobit22 said...

I'm sitting in a corner, singing a sad little song....sigh
the spiders all gone and it's SOOO lonely in here.

LMAO