08 November, 2009

New Hampshire Revisited

26 March 2003
23

R. Linda:

On me half day off which turned out to be no day off, I found meself heading for the great state of New Hampshire for a second time. No, not to ice fish -- saints preserve me -- but to get a view on the challenge to the first vote in the nation as far as primaries go. Seems a few states are challenging New Hampshire's first in the nation status and there be quite a fuss over it.

I won't bore you with that, but suffice it to say, I did have an experience of me own that was quite horrific. Me heart be pounding still over the fright. I was with a person who was going to introduce me to the proper people at the New Hampshire State House to do me piece on. I picked herself up in a little village called Hollis (near the stateline), and as we were driving over rolling hills and vast farmland, up along side me car comes this pterodactyl, yes Linda, a prehistoric bird if ever there was one!

Well, I was looking once, twice, three times at this huge black thing that was eye level with the side window. At first I was dumbfounded and the capacity for speech had left me person. All I could do was rattle out, "Uhhh, uhhh, uhhh," and then it struck me to point at it. As I started to, the young woman in me passenger seat who had been looking out the opposite window, jumps and screams, "HOLY CHRIST!"

That did it for me. If I had a voice I would have started hollering along with her. I stepped on the gas to out distance it, but it made a horrible sound and speeded up along with me car. Now I was all affright because it was not only big, it was fast! Herself next to me, starts suddenly to laugh uproariously which stunned me. This was no laughing matter and she had lost her mind I was quite certain. We were about to be eaten, car and all and here she was doubled over with glee.

I glanced at her and asked the stupid question, "What?"

She pointed at the thing which now was in FRONT of the car, either I was slowing down, or it was speeding up (I don't know which). She said nothing because she was laughing so hard, and once again, but with a little more agitation I asked her, "WHAT?"

Finally, the thing veered off and as it did it landed in a field where holy cow there were more of them! I braked to look because about now, I was starting to realise that when not in flight, the pterodactyl resembled a wild turkey.

I sat there looking at the turkeys feeling very much one meself. I drove on in silence feeling the total fool while me car-mate sat there giggling. It was like that all the way to the capital city, Concord. She'd get herself under control and then burst out laughing.

Luckily, I didn't have to drive back with her and so I drove in silence, fuming at meself for reacting like a girl for one, and not recognising a bird in flight. Then it struck me she didn't at first either, until it made that googly honky sound.

Lesson to be learned by me: Never go to that State expecting the expected, because it just doesn't happen.

Gabe
Copyright © 2003 All rights reserved

No comments: