07 November, 2009

A Roast

09 March 2003
21

R. Linda:

I spent me evening at a roast for State House Speaker Tom Finneran, the most unpopular man in Massachusetts. I went because the Gov went. I sat with the press, and jotted me notes down. The speakers were all pretty funny except for one, who faltered and was laughing at her own jokes, but no one else was. I felt painfully embarrassed for her. Lucky for us and her, the host cut her off.

King Tom as he is referred to, has been in politics longer than I've been alive. He thinks he's a buff "dude" and a godsend to women as well as being the "iron fisted ruler of the commonwealth." They made snide innuendoes about election fixing, getting stories straight before meeting with the Gov, and being asleep on the floor of the state house. They alluded to secret meetings and being more powerful than our sainted and handsome Gov. They even talked about a wild and widely reported toga party held during state business. Yikes, I don't think they were joking!

The Gov was in top form commenting on his being late for the roast because when he got out of the car he hit his head and broke his hair (something King Tom doesn't have much of). There isn't much more to report other than I being not an insider yet on Boston politics, the jokes went over me head, but they were still funny.

I was sitting across from Ms. O'Neill, you remember her, the competition? She must have accidentally on purpose kicked me under the table several times. Me shin is black and blue this morning, no fooling. She'd laugh at some joke said on the podium and whack! She'd then say, sorry, but you knew it was well aimed and she wasn't.

I am to see the Blue Man Group next week with Chloe. We have tickets up front and I hear it is quite a show. Very innovative and theatrical. They used to do the Sprint commercials, so you might know who I mean.

Gabe
Copyright © 2003 All rights reserved

No comments: