09 January, 2019

Recap of 2018 moments (in no particular order) that I didn't tell you about

09 January 2019
940

R. Linda:

In looking back at the year 2018 there were some moments I will say. I didn't write them all out for you but there were some highlights that stick in me memory. Like the incredulous and then more certain look me eldest gave his grandmother at this remark:

Me Mam was sitting at the table when O'Hare came down to get his breakfast. She said to him, "Tomorrow be me big day! I be turning 100."

He laughed, and then thought about it and said, "No . . . really?"

"Ok, I lied, 101."

I spit me coffee out not expecting her to quip such a thing, but then that's me Mam's sense of humour.

Then there was Weasil who told me he was in Salem with "relatives" this past Halloween and the most exciting thing about the whole affair wasn't seeing relatives, but the "farthing contest on the mall."

He sent me this photo of the winner.

Only Weas would get excited about a fart contest

Speaking of excitement, then there was the squirrel in the Christmas tree that I did not mention to you at the time because you were going through your own personal excitement and well I assume you saw the Griswold Christmas so you didn't need me to add mine. But it was an exciting time for us. We had bought the tree inside and were letting it stand when the dog started barking at the tree. For the life of me I didn't know what she was barking at until me sharp-eyed Mam said she thought she saw the tree shake all on its own.

"A haunted tree!" O'Hare exclaimed.

We stood in the kitchen looking into the living room and sure enough a few minutes later the tree seemed to shake which set the dog into gales of barking up a storm. I went in and stood next to the dog, my ears hurting from the loud barking when the tree really started shaking and then it stopped but staring at me from the side of his eye was a grey squirrel!

He saw me and I saw him

I had to remove the dog who once outside was jumping up and down in the window trying to see the squirrel barking the entire time which was no help. I went for a broom (I have no idea why) and as soon as I started walking back towards the tree the squirrel leapt onto the curtained window next to the tree. I swatted the curtains and it leapt over me head which had me for a moment screaming like a girl because I thought it was coming for me face. Instead, it ran toward the kitchen where everyone else was standing sending them scattering. Tonya had the presence of mind to open the back door as an escape route but the dog came bounding back in and the squirrel made a U-turn down the hallway, the dog on its tail. It ran up the grandfather clock and chattered at the dog from its safe perch. I got the dog and dragged her back and shut her in the laundry. Picking up the broom one more time, O'Hare ran passed me and opened the front door and ran out. I guess the squirrel saw the opportunity and flying through the air from clock top to door top, managed to hitch itself onto the swinging door where it finally dropped off and ran away.

I was out of breath for days. I  will say it took a while before we decorated the tree. We left it up for three days to be sure there were no more critters. I tell ya, never a dull moment in me house!

At the advent of the new Star Wars movie last year, Weasil gave me an argy that he wanted to take me out for a "boys night out" at the movies. I was not expecting to go anywhere with the Weasil because every time I do, it is not what I expect. It seems his friend Robbie wouldn't go (and now I know why) to the new Star Wars movie with him and he decided I was sloppy seconds. It was Tonya who pushed me out of the house with the Weasil telling me I'd have a great time and I hadn't done anything for myself so I should go and enjoy the movie and the popcorn! Besides she said, "Look at this, it's an omen."

I had brewed coffee and when she went to throw out the grounds, she saw the star in the middle and well . . . that was reason enough for me to go.

She was no help, she knew I didn't want to go. Well, I have to admit it was a tamer night out with the Weasil than usual as he's a huge Star Wars fan (he impersonates JarJar Binks very opportunity he gets). The only thing was the embarrassing footwear he insisted upon wearing out in public. Yup, take a look, he wears these each time he goes and what's more annoying than the footwear is he talks like Yoda the entire night!

Weasil's special Star Wars footwear - you can't take him anywhere

Not to be outdone, the laddie sent me a photo of his "wondrous" find in a green grocers that he picked up and sent to me. Not the photo, what's in the photo. 23 boxes of the stuff. We are still eating mac and cheese!

Oh boy

Not to be outdone by our own boyo, the youngest was to wear his pjs to school for a Christmas movie in which the kids come in their pjs with pillow and blanket as if it were a sleepover to view a Christmas movie, in this case Frosty the Snowman. Tonya was running late that morning and asked the wee one to dress himself after telling him what to wear.

"Your clean pjs are on the dresser." She said hurrying around.

"Do I need underwear?" He yelled.

"Yes, of course." She yelled back getting snacks made.

And here is the end result of the youngest dressing for the occasion:

At least he didn't forget the underwear

And finally, we end the way we began with the Weasil. I went down to Rockport, Mass. to see our very own Captain Jaack put an appearance in on at the docks. While we were waiting for the show to begin Weasil asked me if I left me horse at home.

"What?" I was gobsmacked. This came out of nowhere.

"Yer skatey board?"

"What are you talking about I don't own a horse or a skateboard."

"Gabby are ya gettin' enough at home?"

"WHAT?!"

He pointed above us to this:

Only Weasil
Gabe
Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved

3 comments:

mobit22 said...

ROFLMAO only YOU. Christmas was quiet except for dad. Our crazy cats would love having a squirrel loose in the housr. The sit in the window watching the squirrels running around outdoors. And as for your mom, she's my kind of person.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I could do without the Christmas excitement and why me? This be the third time I have encountered a squirrel in me abode. We got that tree from our woods, so go figure we took not only the tree but the squirrel too. Why it didn't jump out when we were chopping or dragging it back home, I have notta clue. Me Mam says it got in somehow and wasn't in the tree. That's not comforting because if that's so where did it come from it got in? Now I be nervous as a cat thinking a squirrel be going to jump on me head when I be sleeping. Sigh.

Maggie said...

I have to heave a great sigh at my step-son's behaviour. He hasn't grown up and to think he will is wishful thinking. I'd say better you than me, but that would be mean of me, LOL.