11 July, 2019

"That's heavy, dude."

11 July 2019
961

R. Linda:

I was not born when the hippy era was alive and well, so I be not used to hippiedom. Matter of fact I know little to nothing about it. Oh on occasion someone would point out a hippy person but I had no contact with them, so like I said, clueless be me. However, I can spot a hippy, oh yes I can. I know the dirty jeans look sometimes ripped but always faded. The underwear type shirt sometimes with holes but always misshapen, and the long unwashed hair, dusty sandals and lean look with the wrinkles of a Mary Jane life not age on the face where crows feet are pronounced from too much sun.

What brings this up you may ask, well it be me first meeting on a one to one basis with a hippy person. Yes, indeed a first for me who has had many bizarre firsts. This one, well, I never thought in all me life a hippy was in me future. Until today that is.

I have off and me Mam had left early for the town supper planning which be an institution in our small village. They hold suppers the third Thursday of each month, so off she went. Me wife, be a member of the library committee and this month is Smokey Bear's 75th birthday. Our little village was selected as one of six New Hampshire towns to host Smokey's party. Tonya was off helping with that.

That left me with the three kiddos. Yesterday was about the same, but I took them out for pizza and then ice cream and managed to kill three hours where otherwise I'd be breaking up fights, or listening to loud headless music, or being asked, "what can we do now?" Since I did that all yesterday I was wracking me brain on what to do today to distract them. But as Tonya was leaving she informed me the smallest of the crew was being picked up by someone named Brendan who was taking his son and ours swimming. OK that was great, one less mouth to ask me "what can we do now?" The other two were content to be on their electronics so it was sort of a day off. Yes, I notice when the wee one be in residence all hell usually breaks loose eventually.

So I was told Brendan (who I do not know) would be by at ten. I got the child up, dressed, fed, packed swimming trunks and towel and ten came and went. I get a phone call from Tonya around quarter to eleven informing me Brendan just got up and be on his way. Must be nice I thought to be able to sleep in. With this news I made sure the wee one was ready and well the eldest had been in the room where I could hear screaming and upon opening the door, the eldest was straddling the youngest who was screaming at the top of his lungs and it was all play, but you'd think he was being killed. I had to re-brush hair, straighten clothes, re-find shoes that had been kicked off, get the towel back in the bag with the trunks and then we waited AGAIN.

So this beat up old Cadillac pulls up and I am rushing the wee one down the stairs to get him off and this blue hippy (he was entirely in blue denim) comes shuffling over to me and doesn't offer his hand, no he grabs hold and gives me a limp hug, with a "Howya doin' man."

Surprised I stuttered I was doing ok and here was the bag with the swimming kip and here was the kiddo and he says, I was going to take them to the lake but I see you have to be a resident to swim there (now mind you I have no idea where he be from but obviously not from the town with the lake privileges). I said that was true and I was just on that town line and so I had no swimming privileges either. So then he says I have a river behind my house we can go there. I was like OK but got the impression he'd be watching the kiddos from his kitchen window while he smoked a joint. I dunno just a weird feeling I had about that. I was going to say something when he cut me off and asked, "Oh yeah ya gotta car seat?"

Oh sure let me get one and off I went and handed it to him and he says, "Your kid likes McDonald's doesn't he? He is a picky eater."

Uhhh no. So I told him his fav be peanut butter and jelly so just give him a sandwich and he's fine doesn't need McDonalds which obviously Brendan didn't want to go to. I thought then maybe he needs money? But then he said, "PB&J perfect dude!"

Well, ok then.

He proceeded to ask me what we were doing as he spied the ripped up garden bed a few feet away. He was growing tomatoes in his garden, but his crop had so far failed, too much rain. I was thinking something else was growing not tomatoes. But I told him we were late on Tonya's garden and that opened up a whole hippy tirade on mulch vs. no mulch, vs. over the counter chemical sprays that can brain damage your child (but apparently not yourself) and homemade concoctions that heaven knows what effect they have on everything including the plants. I was bored out of me mind I was. I said I had done none of that or made any of those choices, just ripped up the weeds and clotted the earth so if the wife decides to plant say TOMATOES she can.

"That's heavy, dude, go with the flow man."

Yeah sure its heavy, it's groovy, its out of sight, far out man.

As you know gardening, especially organic be not me thing. I was saved anymore of that talk when his kid comes up and says, "I gotta pee!" and daddy Brendan says, "Me too! Lets go over by the shed." And before I could offer the water closet inside, off they went to me newly built shed with me standing there, me mouth hanging open in shock. So I called after him (as I saw me means of escape) and said I was going inside, it was too hot, have fun, see ya later.

"Peace out dude." He calls back unzipping his jeans.

"Oh right on man," I muttered as I went inside.

That was two hours ago and he's still here wandering around the backyard doing heaven knows what. I put a call into Tonya, yes I did, I be not dealing with an ageing hippy, no no no! The eldest be a big help, he just came into me office to inform me he closed all the windows and locked the doors. Yup. And just as I finished this the heaven's opened up and it be pouring as I watch the hippy and his two charges charge for the beat up old Caddy. I hope they don't sit out there all afternoon, but he actually starts it up and leaves.

Why do I have this kind of thing happen to me. OH wait, doorbell.

UGH!!! Brendan, soaked like a rat just handed me a package that the deliveryman had left by me garage door. Mind you it be wrapped in plastic so it won't get wet. Before I could say thanks, and do you need a towel, hippy Brendan flipped his faded tee shirt up over his head and ran back to the old gilopy. He's outta here, I can see him through the raindrops going up the driveway. The eldest came to stand next to me and at the same time we said not knowing the other was going to say the same thing, "PEACE OUT BRENDAN YOU COOL DUDE . . . NOT!"

Gabe
Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved

5 comments:

Fionnula said...

hippies? they still exist? i thought ozzie osbourne was the last even jagger is hip now.

Tomas said...

Uhhh LMAO DUDE!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Oh, I thought you were a hippy?

Dew said...

I’m surprised the bloke isn’t called Leaf or some strange hippy name like that lol

mobit22 said...

LMAO you know we hen I was born so do the math! I could only be a weekend hippy because my mother was a big believer in baths. I wore the gear and hung out with the hard core hippies. But I also had to work. So my hippy time was cut short and I was clean!