08 October, 2012

Public Gardens, Halifax, Nova Scotia

585

08 October 2012

R. Linda:

On our last day in Halifax, we decided to end it on a green note and visit the Public Gardens. Now the entire time we had been staying in Halifax, we must have passed the gardens a dozen times. The gates outside reminded me of London and I heard the gardens themselves were a mini version of Hyde Park. I will say the Public Gardens are a lot smaller than Hyde Park (16 acres), so the gardens themselves are not that extensive, but the place be more magical by far.

Before we had left for Nova Scotia, I had seen a few pictures of the gardens and I thought it nice, but it wasn't on me list of 'must see' places. However, I take that back, the gardens are extraordinary. We spent half a day there, and to be honest it was one of the nicest mornings we had. The weather was beautiful, the gardens not at all crowded (as the tourist season was over) so we had the freedom to meander as leisurely as we pleased.

I even found a small hobbit house for you, which be quite famous. I'll include that with me set of photos.

The gardens are typical of the Victorian era and were established in 1874. They are a wee bit of Eden and I took some photographs for you.
 
The gates

Horticultural Hall

Interesting planter
 
Typical garden bed
 
Shades of Hyde Park - Garden dedicated to Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
 
Memorial Bridge

The stream that runs through the gardens

With a view toward the bridge, the mini house can also be seen
 
View looking back toward the bridge
                                                                                       
As much as I'd want to say this is a hobbit house it is a miniature of Horticultural Hall
  
                                                                                        
This is the famous Diana the Goose who was too busy foraging to pay us any mind

Our day ended in Halifax and we set off over the MacDonald Bridge towards Sherbrooke Village and Guysborough, our next stop.

Gabe
Copyright © 2012 All rights reserved

4 comments:

mobit22 said...

You know I love plants and gardens! but couldn't you at least found me a hobbit mansion?LMAO

AND I AM NOT A HOBBIT!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Yeah ya are

Fionnula said...

didn't this give Tonya ideas? beautiful layout.

Dew said...

Very pretty. Looks like you had a nice day for it. I like the picture with the stream running through especially.