30 August, 2012

A Snake In The Barn AND Another One At The Guinness Brewery In Dublin

567

30 August 2012

R. Linda:

Recently over in Dublin at the Guinness Brewery (you'll remember me visit there and the Italians and Tonya? See A Rainy Day In Dublin 20 May 2012) a surprise arrived from Texas! Seems one of the empty kegs that had arrived from that drought-plagued state had inside it THIS:


 Pantherophis guttatus -- a little thirsty but there he or she was

Can you imagine the kegs are unloaded and placed inside for cleaning and there you are ready to spray it out as you open one up -- what is staring up at you be a snake. I can just hear the man with the sprayer, jumping back and yelling, "JAYUS!" Then rushing back to put the lid back on before the reptile slithered its way out. And they said there were no snakes in Ireland, well guess what? There be at least one, THIS one! Where is St. Patrick when ya need him, eh?

All this brought back a not-too-distant memory for yours truly. Last summer me old neighbour and his wife went up to Maine to visit the married daughter and family. The farm hand Henry was left in charge of the livestock. On Sunday afternoon when he was to come make sure there was water for the animals, he found he had a prior engagement and I was asked if I'd run down and do the chore. I did not hesitate because the old couple had been very nice to me and Tonya, so no problem.

That particular Sunday afternoon, I had strolled on down to the barn and gave the pony water in its stall, and the mare I checked didn't need any, so I was strolling down to where the goats were when at the other end of the barn was THIS:

                                                                                    
An albino corn snake

I saw it slithering along the barn wall and then it dropped down and slipped in the door and was making its way toward an empty stall. I was at the goats to check their water trough when the movement caught me eye. I turned to look and as I turned, the snake stopped moving forward and coiled itself up to face me. I had no clue what kind of a snake it was, just that it was big. I decided (as the chills ran up me spine), to get the hay fork and pitch it back outside, and as I was moving with a purpose towards it, it started to rise up and got almost as tall as meself when my mobile rang. I stopped and moved back towards the other end of the barn to get better reception.

It was Tonya with some questions I cannot remember what, but it was a good thing she rang. I found out later the snake rising up was getting itself ready to spring at me. Can you imagine? Talk about an Irish jig I'd be jigging meself all around that barn with a snake wrapped around me head! But as it happened, as I started back towards it, it had found a rat hole and slithered itself inside. That gave me the creeps watching it disappear behind the walls. I quickly gave the goats the water they needed and hoofed it home to tell Tonya about the snake and ask her what we should do.

"What kind of a snake was it?" She asked, "I don't think we have any poisonous snakes around here, probably a garter or grass snake."

I had no clue what it was since it was a white and grey snake and as everyone knows there are no snakes in Ireland, so I be no authority. That I even know what one looks like be nothing short of a miracle. And Tonya being a Jersey girl was not up on reptiles therefore, she, of course, was no help. She did get a kiddie book of snakes down, you know the kind with drawings and big simple type explaining snakes to persons under the age of five. Nothing in the Big Book of Snakes looked like what I had seen. SHE decided I had seen someone's escaped Boa Constrictor. How to make me feel better, I tell ya!

Meanwhile, Henry called he was still hung up could I let the blacksmith in to reset the mare's shoe? GULP, that meant going back down there. He had no time to chitchat so I said yes, I'd go and so around 4 I met the blacksmith. I told him jokingly (but nervously) about me snake encounter, and he told me that if it was making itself as big as me, it was so it could spring at my head. Oh, thank you for that, Mr. Blacksmith! Then he told me it probably lived under the barn in the rocky foundation. Oh, thank you again!

Well, for the rest of the summer I got the willies going into that barn I tell ya! I had mercifully forgotten about the snake until today when I read about the snake in the brewery. I had since found out from my old neighbour that the snake was a North American Albino Corn Snake. Non-poisonous, usually shy, a great eater of rats and mice and a welcome visitor to his barn. Ohhh Kayyy!

I keep well out of the barn if I can help it. I have not seen the slinky snake since that day thank God. I know it won't hurt me, but still, I DO NOT LIKE SNAKES non-poisonous or otherwise thank you very much.

So that's me short remembrance for you. Though, I kind of have a feeling you like snakes.

Gabe
Copyright © 2012 All rights reserved

7 comments:

mobit22 said...

LMAO

How DID you know?LOL

When I lived near an open field, there were tons of snakes! usually of the corn variety. I LOVE snakes! We also had lots of prairie dogs that got into the yard. regular damn zoo.LOL

Fionnula said...

the snake must have been young or had poor eyesight. it should have gone to a mixteco factory. i can see it now a snake in a bottle of mescal LMAO

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

If memory serves me, I do believe you told me about chucking a snake in your yard clear across the street into a vacant lot. Yup you did. LOL

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Fiona THAT be a horrible thought. Lucky for me I don't drink Mescal. I thought Mescal was a type of worm.

Dew said...

That exact thing with a boa happened to my next door neighbour. It was someones pet who escaped and took up residence in their shed for the night. Imagine finding that? I would be dead from a heart attack as I don't like snakes either!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I don't think it was a pet boa but what the old neighbour said, a corn snake. I'd dread the thought of a boa let me tell you, LOL. That's why I don't live in Florida.

mobit22 said...

I hate to disgust you, but boas are cool pets!LOL