08 November, 2009

Birds, no sleep, and not in a good mood

31 March 2003
26


R. Linda:


I be off today and it isn't really a day off. With Sean here it seems like I have become the entertainment director. I worked both Saturday and Sunday and I thought, glory me, Monday I can lie in and not worry about a thing.

Bright and early, 7 a.m. Sean comes in with a cuppa and says breakfast be ready in a jiffy. I was like WHAT, who is that and what is he doing in me flat? Then I remembered. Before I could say a word, he was out the door. I forced meself up, dragged meself to the kitchen and sat meself down to what looked like an old fashioned Irish breakfast. What I actually ate, I've no clue, and when I asked if the blackened thing on me plate was a sausage, I was answered with a mouthful of food and words jumbled together. I stabbed at the thing, and sure enough it was burnt sausage. I don't know how one can burn a Brown and Serve sausage, but me cousin did.

After me charred breakfast rich in carbon treats, I shuffled on to the shower and the cold water woke me up. The fool had used all the hot water! I was no sooner dressed when he knocks and says, "So Gabriel, what should we be doing today?"

I wanted to say, I should be sleeping, but asked instead what he would like to do.

"See all the great American sites I should think," says he.

Sooo, I get me walking shoes and off we go. We didn't get any further than the Museum of Science where he had to practically shove me in because the feature exhibit was called (are you ready? Because I sure wasn't), A BIRD'S WORLD. In subtitle -- Everyday bird call is a tweet for the kids. Oh yes.

I had to be dragged through the birdie exhibit and be subject to learning about bird voices and bird alarms, and bird mating, and bird "news flashes" and what a bird's eye view looks like. You haven't lived.

That wasn't bad enough, Sean got all into the "Sneaking Corridor" where usually children try to outsmart a motion detector before triggering a god-awful sounding alarm. I wanted to hit him with something, because he was going back to try it several times. I wanted to leave him there, but instead pulled him away so the kiddies could have a turn. They were looking pretty angry and that's the last thing I needed was one of them piping up to their mam, "That guy's hogging the fun!"

I dragged me dolt of a cousin to Starbucks for a coffee, because I needed a caffeine boost. He was standing there in the middle of the crowd asking, "So Gabriel, where be the tea?" with everyone looking at his sad, sorry arse. We are home at the moment (he's fixing a late lunch, God help me), and then he is deciding what he wants to do for the rest of the day and where he wants to have dinner. I may end up killing him before it gets to dinner. I'll let you know.

Gabe
Copyright © 2003 All rights reserved

No comments: