25 May, 2019

A Bizarre Tale of a Mobile Scooter And A Man Named Bruce

25 May 2019
954

R. Linda;

I can think of nothing more exhilarating than speeding down a busy freeway on a mobility scooter as traffic hurtles passed at 100km/h, can you? Well, I am about to inform you someone beat Weasil to that exciting drive to oblivion. Yes R. Linda, a 92-year-old fellah from Melbourne, Australia took a trip he did. He might have been confused or maybe, just maybe he did it on purpose -- oh hell, I be not going to make excuses for the man possibly mistaking a mobile scooter for an auto.

Crazy as it seems, it be true he ignored motorists waving and shouting out their windows for him to pull over, but he was on a mission he was. No one could stop him until the police came along and well, seeing the error of his ways, he reluctantly came to a stop. Thankfully he stopped on the side of the road not in the middle of it, though I wouldn't have put it past him to stop in the slow lane. 

I will give, he was not a steady driver as he'd drive in the slow lane and a couple of times he occasioned onto the shoulder, then zig-zagging from one lane to the other, well I dunno R. Linda, that you nor I would do THAT, unless you were in a hurry to get to your destination and had no other way of getting there, OR, perhaps one be on the lam and took the first vehicle they could find, OR, maybe one was running away?

While everyone else on the Monash Freeway was doing a healthy 100kms our old boy was doing a sedate 15 on mobile scooter cruise control. See here:

Just crusin' along, singin' a song . . .

A man named Bruce never expected such a bizarre encounter, as would none the rest of us, but lucky Bruce came up upon the old fellah while driving his Audi and filmed the whole of the wild ride on his dash cam.  He tried shouting out the window, "Move over. You're on the freeway . . . you're not supposed to be on the freeway." But the oldster yelled back (I be sure it was something naughty at Bruce) and kept tooling along.

Out of the slow lane to the service lane

Seeing this, Bruce was concerned for the oldster's welfare. He turned on his hazard lights and called the Victoria Police, who might have been slightly sceptical at first.

"I just told him to try and pull over and he told me to f*** off," Bruce told dispatch.

While Bruce was talking to dispatch the oldster decided to change lanes

"Ah F***ing hell, he's going back on the road again," an alarmed Bruce tells dispatch.

WOULD YA LOOK AT THIS - YIKES!

I'd say our old fellah be either very (and incredibly) brave or totally bonkers. Does this behaviour remind you of someone? It does me, Weasil would do something like this I think we both would agree.

Anyway, Dispatch asks for the colour of the scooter so the police can find it (LIKE WHATTT?). And Bruce tells them not without some frustration, "There's only one, they won't miss it."

The Dispatcher is now concerned for Bruce and tells him basically to take a caution but Bruce is more concerned for the oldster and tells them, "See if I go around him, he's going to get collected." You think?

Meanwhile:

Coming up in the service lane on the left of Bruce is . . .

Finally, the old one has sense hit him and he realises the law has pulled up and he best stop. Yeah, stopped when you HAVE someplace important to be if you can remember it, bummer pal!

Yup dialling Triple Zero paid off

It seems our old fellah had been reported gone missing by his family. You might think he was tooling away from them not really joy riding down the freeway? Well, if it was the former he was soon reunited with them again! I have a sneaking suspicion this was Weasil's granddaddy, has to be someone from the Weasil family.

All photos courtesy of Bruce's dash cam

Gabe
Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved

4 comments:

Fionnula said...

the guy was blessed because looking at that truck whizzing by at 100 he is lucky the back stream didn't knock him flat

Tomas said...

Wowzers! Long live Bruce, after the f---ing shout out he could have run him over, road rage and all that.

mobit22 said...

ROFLMAO actually I can see me doing it. Some of those things really move. I use them to carry my oxygen tank. I'm still using the little heavy ones until I can afford a battery operated concentrator. So I scoot all over in a motorized scooter. I COULD walk but why should I.LOL

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I hate to admit it but yeah I can see you tooling down a freeway before the idea ever popped into Weaz's brain. Yup.