13 June, 2018

"My cat Chester . . . "

13 June 2018
912

R. Linda:

We have new neighbours who moved in a few acres away, which is next door. I have not met them yet, and am a bit confused as to who they are. I went to the town hall last Friday to renew dog licenses for the habitual offenders at home, who when together take off at any opportunity that presents itself, so licensing be essential upon this disappearing act where for hours in a day they be gone doing God knows what (probably killing chickens -- everyone seems to have chickens), and then I get the phone call, "Mr. O'Sullivan are you missing your dog?" You don't know how many times I wanted to say, "Uh no, so keep whoever it is you have there officer." But usually, I have worried children listening in hoping Fido's return be eminent. Sigh.

Anyway, when I was down at the clerk's office doing the deed to keep at least one of them legal (the other hound belonging to the Dragon lady is licensed in New Jersey, a fat lot of good that does up here), I was asked if I had met me new neighbours. Hell, I didn't even know the place was for sale, let alone sold, so no, no I had not met them.

"Oh, they are two nice ladies from Vermont getting married at the house this Saturday." Said the clerk all smiles.

"To each other?" I was not expecting new neighbours let alone a wedding.

"Yes, yes I think so." That was the answer.

Well, I got the license and home I drove and had to pass the new neighbour's house but I saw nothing there (not that I have a clear view, all the homes are secluded). I shrugged and thanked me lucky stars that Dragon did not know that the house had been on the market because we knew what would have happened, she'd be me permanent neighbour and we can't have that.

Well, no wedding happened that I knew of and the only person I've seen was a man racing a four-wheeler up and down the driveway. When he isn't doing that I can hear him calling the dog (I assume it's his) and that's it. Until this afternoon, when I was sitting out on the back porch working from home, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I was so busy I hadn't noticed a woman walking between our homes trying to get a cell phone signal until she had her back to me and was walking back to the property next door. It was then that I saw our 'bobcat' running after her. I figured time for Gabe to run inside because, for all intents and purposes, our cat Chester looks like a young bobcat and well, can you imagine, you are on your phone, walking to your safe abode WHEN you hear what sounds like a meow, you turn around and DAMN it's a bobcat running toward you?

I have no clue what happened, but on the town web page, there be a photo of our very own Chester letting everyone know it's a cat, not a bobcat, just hasn't a tail and unfortunately has the right colour and markings to be mistaken for it's wilder cousin. I tell ya! I hope the woman has been to the town site so she knew, but the scream I think I heard tells me she had not.

Can't you just see THIS running up behind you?

In keeping with the subject of Chester, the youngest once again went to school and there was a lesson on taking care of pets and what benefit they can give one. Well, at the end was another questionnaire that the wee ones were asked about and their answers were written down and sent home. Yup, I thought feeding rabbits to help the earth was off-kilter, but no, no, this be even better.

I have yet to see Chester suit up to play ball, and playing and jumping, uh not so much, BUT the eating of flies? I wouldn't put it past him.

He should have put his pet loves to scare people as he is permanently dressed as a bobcat, AND not only does he eat flies, he probably eats frogs too. His favourite thing to do is not play and jump, no that he leaves for the mice and chipmunks he viciously bats around. BIG SIGH.

Gabe
Copyright © 2018 All rights reserved

18 comments:

Hughes said...

Yeh I can see where Chester can scare the bejayus out of someone. Not being a lover of cats, I did enjoy your prior story of the dogs using your bedroom as a trash dump. Got a good laugh out of that.

Fionnula said...

your little one is so cute, i love his answers! let us know if you meet your neighbor and what she said about the bobcat that was chasing her. and lucky for you your mother in law was unaware of what was available right next door lol

mobit22 said...

ROFLMAO I happen to LOVE Chester . Except for the lack of a tail, hes like .y black cat spyder. Size only. He walks like a raccoon and likes moths, .ice and anything he can catch. Then the fat beast sleeps. All of our cats,5, are chipped. People don't like black cats. Maybe the dragon needs a smaller familiar than the hound of the baskervilles. And maybe she hates new Jersey more than she hates you.

Tomas said...

I see you have been leading the life of kids, pets and in-laws. I have yet to do the first, but the last two I can now sympathise with you, HA! I should have taken your blog as a warning, but TOO LATE!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

It can’tbe that bad, LOL. Congrats on getting married I understand it was a grand day. Much happiness to you and your bride.

Dew said...

I definitely would jump if I saw that cat. How cute is your little one? Adorable.

Dew said...

Yes! Congratulations Tom. Wishing you every happiness.

Tomas said...

Thank you both. I exaggerate a trifle. Married life is good, in-laws are fine, it is their pet dog Roko (Shih Tzu), that makes visits overly taxing. They can't leave home without him and he is the least well behaved dog on the planet, making visits to their home and they to ours one of those experiences that you can't wait to get home or see them go home when it is the dog that makes it taxing. Weasil had a suggestion I get a giant sling shot and launch the dog over the back fence. I thought that awful but now . . .

Fionnula said...

i heard it was a beautiful wedding. sorry we couldn't be there. best wishes to you and katie.

Dew said...

Tom. When did you get married. My son too got married April 27th

Tomas said...

2 June in Edinburgh, honeymooned in the Maldives. Hope your son had as wonderful a day as I did and has as much happiness.

Gillian said...

Tommy say it ain't so. You handsome devil you have ruined this girl's day you certainly bloody have. Boo hoo and another one bites the dust!

Gillian said...

Mr. Chester looks a fearsome beastie. Not sure I wouldn't scream bloody murder he came trotting up to me!

Dew said...

Thank you Tom. He had a lovely destination wedding and is very happy. Lovely to see! I have another getting married in September. Two down one to go lol

Fionnula said...

like edinburgh isn't a destination wedding? gillette who r u?

Dew said...

Fiona. What are you talking about and why do you feel the need to poke your nose in? My comment was not a one upeth. Quite the contrary. Can one not share a special moment without you spoiling things? Ugh. If I were you Gillette I'd stay clear.

Hughes said...

May I say, all weddings are "lovely" when the couple is in love. No matter if the ceremony was at the top of Mt. Everest or in the bowery, in NYC, they are all destination weddings. Tom is a handsome man and whether you know him or not, its there to see he is off market and the ladies left can certainly shed a tear as there is no law against that. Chill and let it be, take a breath Fionnula.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I will not be accepting anymore comments unless they pertain to the story.