21 March, 2017

How to be driven crazy within minutes

21 March 2017
854

R. Linda:

As if snow every other day isn't enough, and me upper arms ache from the shovelling of such, me brain and body were subject to more abuse at the hands of wee persons whose aim in life is to have a good time, practice high pitched screaming at the top of their lungs, jump around unabated, push other persons out of their way, and generally cause mischievous mayhem. I know all these things one can attribute to Weasil, but this goes beyond Weasil, too many uncontrolled little pint-sized Weasils.

Our local elementary school was having one of four fundraisers (I get a raging headache thinking about it). This one was touted to be at a local pizza and pasta restaurant where the kiddos would get to see a movie. In this case, the new Trolls movie, which if you grew up in the nineties (I believe it was the nineties) as an American kiddo, trolls were the thing to watch on the telly, view in the movie house, and collect for your bedroom bookshelves instead of books!

Some enterprising and still a fan of the trolls decided to bring the colourful bunch back on the big screen, fill it with a lot of infectious songs for dancing, clapping, and singing along (even if you didn't know the words) and cause in a small space filled with some 60 kiddos and their put upon parents, guardians, grandparents and what-have-you, a great deal of STRESS.

That was the scene of me life last evening. We left for the "festivities" as that's how the wee ones were seeing it, for the adults more like a torturous evening in a mental hospital. We arrived at the designated 6 p.m. me three wild children, me Mam (who made the mistake of saying she needed to get out), me wife Tonya, and meself. Tonya had invited a friend of hers and her daughter and hubby to join us. The idea was while the kiddos all watched the movie, the adults could kick back and talk and enjoy the time. NOT TO BE. Best laid plans and all that rot!

We had found a large booth in a crescent shape in the back that would accommodate all of us. At the time it was just me immediate family we were waiting on Tonya's friends. We had been sitting all of three seconds when a woman Tonya knows came over and told us we had taken her booth. Seems she has eight kiddos. Well, the waitress had taken our drink and appetiser order and we were expecting others, plus we had two extra kiddos sitting with us who were friends of O'Hare and Guido's so really we were not about to up and move. I wanted to say, here I'll help you pull tables together but her brood had already done that, plus the two extras at our table were two of hers I found out after she huffed off! So really?

Carolyn (Tonya's BFF), arrived with daughter Carla letting us know that the hubby was looking for a parking space and would be with us shortly. One look at the unruly crowd and she says, "Did you order drinks? Because I think something strong would be a good idea."

At first, I wondered if that was a good idea because as it turned out, we were the only table with mixed drinks and it was a blue drink you couldn't miss. Everyone turned to watch us take a sip when the blue strong ones did arrive. I know what they were all disapprovingly thinking. But it was only one and they didn't know that. I was concerned Tonya being a kindergarten teacher would lose her job if loose lips went back to the school she teaches at, and someone accuses her of driving drunk with kiddos in the car, which she wasn't driving at all. She didn't care she said, because by the end of the night, the rest of them would be ordering something stronger than a Coke.

Prior, Tonya said since we'd be there for several hours probably one drink would be fine. So I signalled the waitress one Rebecca, and Carolyn ordered for us while her hubby was valiantly battling his way through wee ones to the table. The drink was made up of rum, blue curaƧao, coconut milk, and pineapple juice. Mike, the hubby changed his to beer which I wanted as well, but too late, Rebecca could not hear me over the noise. I am providing the recipe card below in case you want to try this, it be rather STRONG.

One will do it and ease the ringing in one's ears and partially blur eyesight but unfortunately, it won't make the chaos go away and it will wear off in 45 minutes.

The appetisers (hot wings and smothered nachos - because I know you will ask) arrived with the kiddos' cokes. Appetisers were gone in seconds and these were big platters. Children are voracious feeders, you have to be quick but we weren't. The only good thing about an empty stomach is the effects of mellowing out compliments the Jack Frost last a wee bit longer.

One sip of me Jack Frost and I thought I'd be on the floor (there was more liquor in it than pineapple juice). I will say by the time I finished it (which didn't take long after having to go retrieve me youngest from wiping the floor with some small fry he had pushed down. I tell ya!) I could have gone home and slept it off -- it was that potent.

There was a stage next to us for Friday night entertainment and the wee ones were up and jumping off, very close to a large plate glass window that looked out on the common. One of them was either going to fall off the stage and break something, OR be shoved out the window. Mam was rather distressed that no one was chasing the kiddos away from the window and stage (there must have been 25 of them up there), but I told her to keep sipping her Jack Frost, and it would all go away like a bad dream.

I ordered (because you'd want to know) a pineapple and artichoke heart pizza. Me first ever and I rather think it be me new fav pizza. The movie came on and the room was darkened so you couldn't see what you were eating in the gloom, but it was obvious Carolyn got a slice of the pineapple because she was shouting at us from the other side of the table, "What am I eating, it's sweet and tomato tasting?" It was me special pizza, a slice completely wasted by an undiscerning palate.

I can't say we had an enjoyable conversation among us adults, no it was too noisy, there was a lot of up and down to retrieve kiddos behaving badly and intense moments of crying over something or someone. We'd have liked to have ordered alcoholic drinks the entire night but refrained since we were driving our precious cargo home. Precious but unruly I should add. The kiddos were all on the stage by the middle of the movie, jumping, shoving, pushing, crying, laughing, shouting, girl screaming (that shatters the eardrums), yelling, singing, dancing, whirling, just a mass of small bodies careening all over the stage and just below it. Notta one watched the movie! Only zombie-like adults stared at the screen, trying to shut everything out. I be happy to announce no one went out the window, though there were a few cases of scraped knees from jumping off the stage and into someone below. Yup, there was.

The movie was just as loud as the kiddos, and the percussion was enough to vibrate you off your seat.  I was up several times chasing after me own brood. Here is a picture at the beginning of the fun night, and another just before the movie came on. I didn't take anything after because I was pretty mellow and exhausted, plus very full of pineapple pizza.

Don't be fooled, the hellions were all on the stage to the left

Rebecca taking our order or trying to over the noise

By the time I got home, I was deaf, half-blind, and borderline crazy. The kiddos all fell asleep in the car on the way home. Why couldn't they have all done that during the movie? There are three more of these delightful evenings offered. One at Burger King, and two I definitely will be sitting out, Chuck E Cheese (just the germs alone make me ill forget that chaos), and Roll On America. I know that last you want me to get on skates and break me fool neck. Not gonna happen.

Gabe
Copyright © 2017 All rights reserved

2 comments:

Fionnula said...

first blue hair and now blue drinks, must be a trend. I took the recipe off your blog and will get my husband to make it. tell me about children being hyper. wait until they are teenagers it gets worse.

mobit22 said...

LMAO good times! The drinks and the pizza were the highlight of the story. More than 3 kids in the same space at the same time makes me crazy! Have fun at the next party!