04 July, 2016

Me face be red by being shown up by a two-year-old

816
04 July 2016

R. Linda:

It takes some getting used to when your two-year-old can drive a four-wheeler better than you. Yup, I had a friend come over with his four-wheeler. He wanted to sell it and left it for me to drive over the weekend to see if it was what I wanted.

This looks like fun right?

Well, it pretty much starts and drives in first gear so if you turn it on you better have the brake engaged otherwise, one takes off and if anyone is standing in front of you, they are sure to be roadkill. Oi!

Keeping this in mind I was fine the day he came over and showed me how the thing works. He left it Saturday and on Sunday I did not have the nerve to drive it without Tonya by my side. So today she says, "If you are seriously considering buying that thing, you should go drive it along the trails to see if it is right for you."

Well, okay, and off I went and I got in and sat for a little bit looking over everything. I guess I sat there a little too long because, from the back deck, Tonya called out to me, "That's not doing it, Gabe!"

Ok, ok, ok! I turned the key completely forgetting I would take off with my foot off the brake and wham, I got instant whiplash as my foot came off the clutch and the thing jerked forward coming to a neck-breaking sudden stop. OK, ok, ok! I started it up this time with my foot on the brake slowly easing it off and equally slowly starting forward. I could see the wife from the back deck shaking her head. I was going at a snail's pace when I heard this whirring sound and passing me was me two-year-old in HIS four-wheeler, a battery-powered four-wheeler the Dragon Lady had given him on his second birthday. This had horrified me she'd give him something a six-year-old couldn't drive! BUT stupid me, he drove it correctly the first time out.

I followed at a good distance and turned off into the trails. I gave the thing more gas and was quite a bit satisfied I had it under control. The trails are sketchy, roots jut up, fallen branches, rocks, pine needles, old rotten leaves, not exactly clear, smooth, worry-free. I got up to a shallow brook and crossed it splashing meself from the openness of the four-wheeler. The doors are off for the summer, and I for some stupid reason forgot that anything could hit you that flew up from the roughed tyres.

The water dripped down my legs as I was wearing shorts. On a hot day it at first felt good, but then it gets warm from the heat and becomes sticky and uncomfortable.

I got to a place where I was on an incline and there were rocks, large ones, and a stump of an old tree that was half out of the ground. My friend had taken me over this hurdle with the ease of a man who knows what he's doing, so feeling confident I gunned it a bit and started over the half boulders and stump with the mind I could get up and over too. Didn't happen. I couldn't get the thing to push forward and over so I backed it down, marvelling I knew how to get it in reverse and started up the stump again and over the half boulders to get a little further, but unfortunately all four wheels were off the ground and spinning and I was going nowhere. What to do to?

I slithered myself out after shutting it off, grabbed hold of the back end and pulled since the front end was high in the air and I didn't want to crash it down on another larger rock below. I had to pull and take a break, and pull and take another break, but after 20 minutes I had the thing off the debris field. I had naturally taken the parking brake off so I could move it backwards and I was not fast enough as it started rolling back down the slight incline where it stopped in the middle of the brook!

I had to get my sandals off to wade in the ankle-deep water to get back in. I put me gear back on thinking I had ruined my new sandals with me wet feet but oh well. It was now hot out and I was not enjoying this at all. I backed the way I came since I could not turn the four-wheeler as the trail was too narrow where I was. Talk about a crooked neck, mine hurt and so did my shoulders. I got back to the grassy field and drove back to where I had started. I was too overheated to play with the vehicle again and went in for a cold drink.

The house was warm and there was a breeze outside, so I went out on the back deck to cool off. I was standing there when THIS went by like he was showing me up, showing me how it was done, and that HE is a better operator of a four-wheeler at the age of 2 1/2 than his old man will ever hope to be.

                                                                                 Did he give me the finger?

I was like, rub it in buddy why don't ya. He started to piss me worthless self off when he started driving circles around the tree, and went at a good amount of speed up a steep incline, over rocks, which was a good thing his mother wasn't there (that was her rock garden he had run over) and then around and down like a speed racer coming to the finish. I stood there thinking I needed something stronger in me iced tea and yelled at him to be careful (like he was the one that needed to hear that) and as I started back inside, he drove past me one more time to show me how it was done, and then he drove off into the sunset, the little bugger.

                                                                                                     Yup!

Shown up by a two-year-old!

Gabe
Copyright © 2016 All rights reserved

5 comments:

mobit22 said...

LMAO the kid is the next fast and furious. YOU need a scooter, no motors for you!

Dew said...

Remind me not to read your stories at work. Gabe, when your son passed you on his battery operated four wheeler I could envision it and completely lost it laughing. Made quite the spectacle of myself. Talk about red faces LOL.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Yeah he is something else on that thing!

Anonymous said...

That is rich being shown up by a two year old! Thanks for the laugh.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Don't rub it in just because you are a pro race car driver