19 January, 2016

Taking the tree down - quite literally

19 January 2016
795

R. Linda:

We have been remiss in taking down the Christmas tree. Yes, it is past the time, Epiphany to be exact. All of us have made remarks in passing like, "Tomorrow I am taking down the tree" said by me wife. Two days later, "Oh I just didn't have the time. Maybe tomorrow" also said by the wife. Then there was me Mam, "Dear meself make a noot to take doon da tree." Then a few days later she comes back with, "I just doont noo where I left dat noot to meself and wot it said."

Well, I wasn't taking down the tree, that was for certain. Here I was hobbling around with rods in me leg and THE APPLIANCE in me knee. Now during all this procrastination, the three boyos never indicated they heard about the tree coming down one way or the other. I think as far as me two oldest were concerned, it could stay up until next Christmas. But there was a certain something going on inside the head of me youngest. He didn't pay attention to his mother's threat to take it down, but he did Mam's. He has become very attached to her these days, and I wouldn't have noticed anything, if it wasn't for her last remark, that he was standing there actually listening to her. His eyes were slits in his head as he turned and looked at the lighted tree as if he were sizing it up. I should have been more observant when he walked over and gave out a big sigh and looked at it from top to bottom. But I be clueless, all concerned with meself and me leg that I didn't think anything of it.

A day or so later, we awoke to the sound of crashing glass. I will say to have to rush up out of bed, grab walker and shuffle meself to the sound was a dangerous thing. I almost collided with Mam as she came out of her bedroom throwing on her robe, Tonya not far behind us was muttering about break-ins.

I needn't have worried being out in the middle of nowhere, because it wasn't a break-in, it was a tree being taken down. What we found was the Christmas tree sprawled all over the living room floor. It looked like a wrestling match had happened and we had no clue if the cats had tried to climb it or what exactly happened. However, we hadn't far to look. There sprawled on the floor, all worn out from his desire to help "take down the tree" was this:


Yup passed out from the exertion

We all have learned not to talk in front of little ears because now we have smashed ornaments and quite the cleanup. He's just fine and very proud of himself the wee hooligan that he be. He did his part and well we get the mess. Hey, at least the tree is down and put away!

Gabe
Copyright © 2016 All rights reserved

4 comments:

Fionnula said...

lololololololol that'll teach you all.

mobit22 said...

LMAO for a kid with a baby doll face, he's a take charge kind of guy! He got tired of hearing about the tree and did a paul Bunyan. Tiring work!

Tomas said...

You work that laddie to hard, LOL.

Dew said...

Must have wiped the poor wee lad out taking that, what must seem to him, huge Christmas Tree down. Good boy! LOL