18 June, 2013

IT IS GREY!

18 June 2013
676

R. Linda:

While you are probably feeling the effects of smoke inhalation out in Denver, I have been painting a room. Yes, the loft, my loft to be exact. I decided the sunny apricot colour was a bit ugly and wanted something else, so I went to the paint store and looked at a masculine putty colour Benjamin Moore paint called Stone Hearth. So, I got meself a gallon and all the paraphernalia needed to set up for the do-it-yourself home painting project and off I went all happy with the prospect of a new colour. Finally, I'd be getting rid of the wife's sunny colour in that room. It has annoyed me since she had me paint it. Her excuse was, "It's a dark room, you need to have a light vibrant colour." Well, it isn't a dark room, it gets the sun all day long! And that light vibrant colour heats the room up in the summer!

I stirred me creamy beige paint and started slapping it on the wall. I thought it looked kind of grey not putty, but when paint is wet and at only one coat, one can't tell for sure that the colour one is looking at is THE colour.

Waiting for paint to dry is a pain in me butt so instead of waiting, I kept on going first coating everything. By the time I was done, it was time for the second coat. I looked at me first wall and it looked dark grey. Yet, when I looked at the paint in the can it looked putty coloured. What was going on? So, being me, I put me logic to work thinking it was the apricot underneath that was making it look that way (I know, I should have primed the walls but I only wanted to do two coats, not three!). A second coat would take care of that! So second coat on. I looked at the one drywall as the other three were still absorbing the second coat. Hum, looked grey, not as dark, but GREY! New idea: a third coat! Third coat on and greyer still. I know I should have primed the walls since I ended up painting three coats anyway!

In the meantime of all me grumbling to meself the wife walks in and says, "I thought you were going to the warmer earth tones, not the cooler stone colours."

Well, DUH so did I! I had her look at the paint that was left in the can. She agreed it was not the same colour that was gracing the walls.

"It looks like the castle keep." Says she walking off.

GREAT!

I shouted after her, "DO YOU AT LEAST LIKE IT?"

"It's a great colour for a man's castle!" She said, no help at all. I'd love it for once if she'd answer a question instead of make a comment that doesn't really answer the question. I tell ya women!

"BUT I DON'T LIVE IN A CASTLE!" I shouted again as I could hear her footsteps receding further away. "DO YOU LIKE IT OR NOT?"

Nothing, not a word then I heard her coming me way. She popped her head in and looked around.

"Well?" I tried again.

"It's good. Works." And she left.

I stood there paintbrush in hand shaking me head. She still didn't answer me question. I wasn't about to go out and buy another colour of paint to paint over what I just painted. No, I had had enough, I'd live with it so they're on me!

I got everything cleaned up except for one thing, a step stool I had left out. I had moved it into the room for a tricky corner and forgot about it. Let's face it I was knackered from working three coats of paint on an entire room! I was still unhappy I didn't know if I liked it and more unhappy I couldn't get a straight answer from the wife if SHE liked it, and I wasn't looking where I was going and took a good spill pulling the muscles on me right side. I can hardly pick up me leg to go up the stairs. I fell over the step stool, yes I did. At least I waited to almost kill meself until I was done with the painting. I don't know about me sometimes.

Anyway, I have today off which is a good thing, it gives me a day to recover and a chance to stare at the grey walls to decide whether I like them or not. I be black and blue on me shoulder though and the wife says if anyone asks how I got that way, I should tell them I was in the castle dungeon and was beating meself up over the colour. She thinks she's funny. And now it's dungeon grey. Wonderful, just wonderful.

As I was thinking of sending you a photo and asking YOU for an opinion, I realised, everything to you is grey. All that smoke drifting over your house and the smell of burning, well you'd probably not be able to see the colour on your computer screen for the smoke. And I know what you'd say, you'd say, "IT'S GREY!" So, I'm not asking but including a picture anyway.

Grey anyway you label it!

Gabe
Copyright © 2013 All rights reserved

11 comments:

Fionnula said...

i like it. looks whitish grey and awesome.

mobit22 said...

LMAO

I actually LIKE grey! It beats white OR brown. sooo finished with brown.
I would have chosen a darker grey! I'm not a pastel person, grey, black or red with an undertone of black.LOL kinda like dried blood.LOL

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Actually it is darker than the picture shows it. It has blue tones. You and Halloween, it never stops does it? LOL

mobit22 said...

NOPE! I collect mini skulls, big skulls, AND I have a GIANT vampire skull.
that one sits in the sealed off fireplace all year round.LOL
also have a hanging spider bat skeleton and little caged skel that I never put away. if this house wasn't so small, I'd have everything set up all the time.

just kidding. too gruesome really. oh yeah, my white skull lamp that you know who gave me, is on the top shelf of my plant stand where you can see it all day, every day.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

What does this have to do with the fact the room is grey? LMAO OK Halloween it is. Um hum. I was told my mind wanders, well I think you have that in the bag Muse.

mobit22 said...

SIGH
is it time for the weird music again? I'd LIKE to paint the living room dried blood red. OR battleship grey.LOL anything but white.

Dew said...

Looks good! I don't see any grey on the wood so you did a grand job with the cutting in. Better than I could do. Did I mention I have a room to be painted? I'll pay you! Lol

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

NOOO! Painting did not come without injury, LOL. I be so done.

Dew said...

Even if I move the foot stool?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Funny, funny. Even then. NO.

Dew said...

Erm. What if I get a putty colour that looks like putty colour on the wall? Hmmm?