04 October, 2011

I know . . . Let's Grow SNUFF!

04 October 2011
458

R. Linda:

Okay, so there is a lot of media talk about job loss and unemployment worldwide. And, it seems little ears have picked up on this and it is worrying. I at first, was mystified at dinner the other night when O'Hare piped up at me that he had a question and it was "impordant." He had been fooling with his dinner by chasing his peas around the plate and unceremoniously stuffing them under the mashed potatoes. He'd take his cut-up pieces of pot roast and place each morsel over the peas and potato foundation like he was laying bricks . . . you get the idea. And while he was doing all this he was squirmy as a snake trying to get out of a grasp. Then the question came.

"Is ya gonna lose yer job Da?" He asked me fork held in mid-air, eyes sad.

"Uh, not that I know of," I said a little shocked, "What brings this up?"

"I been hearin' on da telievisen dat everyone is gonna be jobless."

"No, no we are good. Your Mam and I both have jobs and we are all right. Not to worry there O'Hare," said I shaking my head at such a question from one so young AND impressionable.

"Well . . . if ya boff ever DO need a job I knows what we can do." He said brightly waving the fork around.

Tonya was amused at this but was leaving the conversation to us. I dreaded asking what he had in mind, but I did ask and found meself with a possibility that I had never thought of or dreamed of. How he came up with it I have no clue really, he said it was from a story the teacher read in school and gave him the idea after he questioned her (probably relentlessly - if I know me son) and in discussions on modern uses he put two and two together and came up with an ingenious plan for a five-year-old.

"We could grow SNUFF!" His smile was the biggest I'd ever seen. Both Tonya and I stopped in mid-chew at this and even Guido threw in his two cents by saying the word, "Sniff!" Well, close enough and related.

I asked him where he got that idea, he told me and then I asked him if he even knew what snuff was.

"Yeah, it's tabaccy and ya gits it in a powder almost and ya stick it up yer nose and take a snort. Den ya sneeze!"

Well! OK. The young boyo was right.

"An . . . since da pubbies and bars are not 'lowin' smokin' ya can sell snuff cause dere ain't no law gainst snuffin. We could use Mam's garden and grow tabaccy and den we can pulveriss' it and ya can sell it to da smoker people in a tin can."

"Oh yes, the smoker people. There be a population of those worldwide," I said, "a big one."

"We could haf a giant snuff farm." O'Hare opened his arms wide giving me a visual, peas flying all over the place.

"O'Hare and you could tend the 'tabaccy' and process it into snuff and LaGuardia and I can sell tissues," Tonya said to me with a rueful smile. "I could get lots of tissues from Big Lots," she muttered under her breath.

"Now Tonya the lad be onto something." I said, then to O'Hare I said, "I thank you for the thought O'Hare, if ever your Mam or meself find we need a new job we'll consider the raising and making of snuff."

"That's what I wanna hear!" He said proud of himself and us.

My, my, my! Me son be either one enterprising young boyo or he's got some strange ideas floating around that five-year-old noggin of his. I don't know if I should be proud or scared.

Gabe
Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved

27 comments:

Fionnula said...

aw how touching it is that? I hope you and Tonya gave him an extra special hug for thinking how he could help his family. what a bright and sensitive child you have. :=)

Irish Rogue said...

Out of the mouth of babes, huh?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Of course we did Fiona. Why am I not included in your lunch chat? Do you two eat lunch while messaging each other every day? I'd like to think you are busy reading me blog which seems was the case today, no? Come on invite me!

Fionnula said...

no we don't, only occasionally. just happened to be on at the same time today. you're not jealous are you? and yes I read your blog and told him to read your blog and he did. we got a few "aw's" out of it (both of us having children of our own). I thought you were busy working but if you want to have lunch you give me a time Mr. Nose Out of Joint. LOL

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

GEEZ!!! Doth thou protesteth a wee bit too much fair Fionnula? Does this mean I can invite me Muse too? Four of us means we need a room. LMAO No, I have no time for lunch you two "kids" enjoy. Me and the Muse will move furniture. Her the living room, me the office. SIGH.

Capt Jaack said...

I remember this! Snuff the aristocracies way of inhaling tobacco! That reminds me of the time I sailed with Sir Walter Raleigh back to England. He went before the Queen and her court to show them the large broad leaf "weed" called tobacco. He said, and I remember this well mate, "Queenie, you take this weed and dry it out. Then you chop it up into little bitty pieces and roll it in a piece of paper, light it with fire, put it in your mouth and inhale the smoke."
I stood there waiting for her to yell, "Off with his head! Do you think we are stupid? Why would we dry out an old weed, chop it up, roll it in paper, light it up (of all things) and put it in our mouth and inhale the smoke? I've never heard of such a dumb thing in all my days!" But she was in deep thought staring at the leaf. The two Indians next to me were laughing and I overheard one whisper to the other, "Stupid pale faces they do anything you tell them, ha ha ha ha ha!"
The Queen looked up and addressed us all. "I think we should dry the leaf, chop it up into small pieces, and stick it up our noses instead!"
I had to leave mate, me and the two Indians that is. We started laughing and we were trying to hold it in, so we back stepped out shaking with mirth. The English, pffffff I mean THE ENGLISH! Ha ha ha ha! I can say this being of FRENCH ancestry - I laugh at you English. Ha ha ha ha ha!

mobit22 said...

LUNCH SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!! LOL But I wont be staying in the room, still moving furniture so I'll have to dine and dash. Just tell me when.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

OK Captain you are grounded! I don't know WHAT you're drinking but I'm taking it away. Muse just make some fudge and call it a day. What be becoming of me blog?

Dew said...

Well, sounds like Born in the UK to me apart from the fact Capt Jaack would be banned. LOL I happen to be English Capt and me Mum actually used to holiday in Hayes Barton. Do you know of the place? So let me get back on track, that is, YOUR story Gabe as opposed to Jaacks. I was waiting for your wee lad to offer his life savings of pennies to help out, but bless his heart, he came up with a much better plan LOL Don't be worried, the lad is very resourceful!

Capt Jaack said...

Capt English? Edward is that you? I didn't recognize you with the lipstick mate. And Hayes Barton, would that be the cafe we got drunk in North Carolina and ate the parrot? Or was it the one in England we ate the monkey and the crew left you on the beach with nothing but your boots and a sea turtle? Damn me I don't remember mate was too much yo ho ho and a good many bottles of rum. Good either of us hasn't resorted to the gallows yet I should think, that's the good came out of it. Good to know you aren't dead and I thought might be.

Guilette said...

Oooh Capt Jack! LMAO

Maggie said...

I think Capt Jaack should get a blog of his own don't you Gabe? I find you both amusing, very. As long as the captain behaves himself where the Scottish are concerned he's a good man in my book. But I will give way, the Irish have the market cornered on storytelling. The French (with the exception of Jaak) ... not so much. ;)

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Hum the Capt with a blog. Sounds dangerous to me. I can imagine in a dreadful way, just what the Capt would write about. YIKERS! Thank you for your comment on the Irish. I think you may have made many Frenchmen very unhappy though. LMAO

Anonymous said...

Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but
after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to
me. Anyhow, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking
and checking back frequently!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the blog and most of all I hope to bring a laugh or at the very least a smile to your day. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Its truly remarkable post, I have got much clear idea regarding from this article.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Clear on what exactly?

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I'm not
sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble.
You are amazing! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

If some one wants to be updated with newest technologies therefore he must be pay a quick visit this
website and be up to date daily.

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this blog on regular basis to take updated
from newest information.

Anonymous said...

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely
long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear.
Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Thank you, its always nice to receive nice words. Sorry about the cut off I don't know why that happened, if you look at the Captain's comment above, he wrote a lengthy comment/story so I don't know why that happened to you. But thank you for what you did write all the same.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Well . . . I be not your cousin but I thank him for recommending me blog.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Ha ha! That's the ticket -- teach him to grow snuff, a great public service for your little brother who I hope be an adult.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Yup thats me Mr. Technology. Thanks for the laugh, but really?

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is sort of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does managing a well-established website like yours take a lot of work?

I am completely new to writing a blog but I do write in my journal on a
daily basis. I'd like to start a blog so I can share my own experience
and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of
ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

My advice to you: write from the heart, write what you know, be honest with yourself and your readers. Write only when you feel 'the story' don't push it because it will show and you will lose readership. Be cognisant of your readers criticism and learn from it. Lastly, stay positive and keep your blog fresh and timely.